Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The engine is warmed up and running, but no heat. This car is a friend of mine, i think she needs a new heater, what do you think?

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Very common Taurus problem, clogged heater core. I'd say take it in, and have them backflush it. You will be told that you need a new heater core, and that this is a temporary fix, but I just had mine done for the first time, and others have told me that this is common every 2 years to restore heat.

If you need help with this, I'll try to find the link. A new heater core is $80, and costs $500 more to have it put in, but I would not ever do it...it involves ripping the car apart which is to be avoided.

·
Registered
284 Posts
first check the coolent level, sometimes if its low it wont heat up the cabin, that would be the easiest fix

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Search the forum for the "Clinton Heater Flush" or something along those lines. It got so much gunk out of mine.

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
Yeah, check the coolant level first. It should be filled all the way up - ignore the markings on the degas tank.

If the level is fine, flush and backflush the heater core. Follow the directions posted in the thread mentioned above and make sure you block the bypass hose so you're not just flushing the bypass.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright thanks, so it the heater core not the heater unit. Ok ill let my buddy know what he has to do. Thanks all

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
Make sure the blend doors are working. There are two. One changes the vent options, the other changes the temperature. You should easily hear the vent one. If oyu are getting air from where you want, just not the correct temp, then the door that might have issues is the temp blend door. If it is stuck to bypass the heater core, you will get no heat.

To check if oyu ahve a clog on the heater core, after the engine is warmed up, you can check the tubes coming out of the firewall to the heater core. You should see two pipes sticking out with hoses attached fairly close to each other. Both should be warm/hot. If one is cold, then you have a clogged core.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
notta prob, good luck :)

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so those would be the only things wrong??
i dont want to go to her and not have all the stuff, and someone else makes me look stupid.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
If its 96-99 (or newer probably) heres all that could go that I can think of off the top of my head.

Damaged water pump*
Clogged heater core
Clogged hose to/from heater core
Blend door jammed
Blend door actuator
Electronics for blend door actuator
Temp control knob

* Water pump works good enough to cool the engine, but fails at getting it through a slighly clogged heater core. Mine does this at idle occasionally.

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
What's the coolant level? When the reservoir cracks and you start losing coolant, the first thing you'll notice is that the heater only gets hot when the RPMs are up.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
A thermostat stuck open could cause this, but typically the temp gauge would read low. Im betting on flushing the heater core really well, plug the bottom hole and pour as much CLR in there as you can, let sit for a few, then flush both ways a few times. -bobby

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have joined the club! :( Not much heat. Seems to be better underway. The car does sit parked most of the time. After taking it out for a run the air got warmer then cooled off a little. So next I'll check the t-stat, and I suspect it is the heater core...

Kelly

1 - 18 of 18 Posts