Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an issue with the heater. After the engine warms up, when I turn it on, I get warm air for a few minutes, but then it turns cold. It's intermittent---alternating between warm & cold air. Could it be the thermostat? Something else? The blower motor works fine.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Sounds like a partially clogged heater core if there could be such a thing. Or maybe a bad blend door.One that is opening/closing on its own.maybe you could stick your head down below your radio and observe whether or not the blend door acuator is doing its job , just look for the black plastic lever and see if it moves up and down as you alternate your heat/ac temp switch from cool to warm.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like a partially clogged heater core if there could be such a thing. Or maybe a bad blend door.One that is opening/closing on its own.maybe you could stick your head down below your radio and observe whether or not the blend door acuator is doing its job , just look for the black plastic lever and see if it moves up and down as you alternate your heat/ac temp switch from cool to warm.
Thanks, I'll give it a try.

·
Registered
18 Posts
did this work?? because im having the same problem..but mine also gets cold when i come to a stop..any ideas??

·
Registered
670 Posts
did this work?? because im having the same problem..but mine also gets cold when i come to a stop..any ideas??
Heat working good with revs up above 2k and not working when at idle = partially clogged heater core, either flush it or man up and replace it, although you will still need to flush the system sometime

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
I've done the core flushes for the last three years,
wife sable was only 10% heat, my taurus was almost zero.

Changed out both heater cores with new ones,
THE HEAT IS ON! Wife very happy.

Here is a shortcut to do the job.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just put in a new heater core I get heat but my air seems to only want to blow out on the floor could this be part of that blender valve to. I am going to check it out right now. It seems to be cool sometimes.

·
Registered
95 Posts
2002 3L 24 valve duratec model with heat problem

Last winter I put a new water pump in and followed that with a flush. Heat was just ok never hot. I recently had an oil leak on the intake manifold gasket and changed that out. On Friday I noticed that my heat was just so so. I was on the highway driving home and when I got to town was sitting at a traffic light the fan started to blow cool air, when the light changed and I accelerated to 50 mph the heat returned. I should add that the coolant level was good and the temp gauge was in the normal range. I'm wondering now if there is a water jacket in the intake manifold and if so perhaps some crud made it's way into the coolant. Is there a water jacket in the intake manifold? If so should I flush the heater core once again?
From the posts in this thread the problem would seem to be the heater core. Wouldn't the two flushes (with thermostat change) I did last winter have clear any clogging of the heater core? Can the heater core be flushed to a like new state? Must I replace the heater core?
Something else I thought about, when I replaced the water pump I re-used the pulley from the original water pump. Is the pulley to impeller connection a mechanical lock, held in place with the bolt? I ask this because I'm wondering if the pulley is slipping. Which only at a higher rev, spins the impeller enough to move the coolant?
For clarification I am not the one that actually did the work, so do not know the hows and such of the job in doing any of this work.

It's getting cold now in this part of the country so hadn't noticed the temp problem until now.

·
Registered
95 Posts
all is well now flushed and replaced with new coolant tons of heat now. seems I had/got some crud in the coolant with the higher revs of highway driving it would blow through the heater core but when at a low idle would clog up the heater core

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sheila, I just installed an aftermarket deck and dashkit in my wife's 2002 Taurus SEL, but I messed up the mode selector, it's stuck in defrost, is there a way of fixing this? She doesn't have EATC, just the manual knobs

Scratch that, I guess the car resets itself with the engine running... when I was testing, i just had the accessories on.

Thanks anyways

·
Registered
23,366 Posts
^ If you happened to have accidentally knocked a vacuum line loose during the installation, the system will automatically default to defrost.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts