Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 98 Taurus (Vulcan) and in November of '03 the heater core failed, I had it replaced at my local Ford Dealer at a cost of $541.20 then in April '04 the heater core failed again!!! I then had it again by my local dealer. Now on August 1st the heater core failed a 3rd time and I'm having it once again replaced while still under warranty at another Ford Dealer further away. I looked online at ALLDATA.COM and found a Technical Service Bulletin #01-15-6 for HEATER CORE - REPEATED FAILURE

Has anyone else here experienced repeated heater core failure?

I've started to lose confidence in FORD... and I'm seriously considering trading in the Bull and getting a Toyota!

·
Registered
285 Posts
I've got a copy of that somewhere - the problem with your heater cores repeatedly going bad is due to electrolysis.

The fix is to get another heater core in there, and then run a ground wire from the new heater core to the nearest ground point in the engine compartment.

Taurus isn't the only car that does this, if that helps. Good luck.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll be having a new heater core installed on Monday at another Ford Dealer, I don't quite understand what you're talking about...

"The fix is to get another heater core in there, and then run a ground wire from the new heater core to the nearest ground point in the engine compartment."

Could you expain how this works and how it's done, I'm not quite sure the Ford Dealer would do something like that... but I'm intrested in hearing how this works!

I'm also having the Coolant Resevoir replaced at the same time, since mine has expanded and has stress cracks on the sides and the insides are all brown and particles have fallen into the coolant.

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
Electrolisis is when unlike metals in the cooling system generate electricity. They are all connected by the coolant in the system. The heater core gets eaten away by this process and the coolant usually turns brown.

The fix is, as stated above, to ground the heater core. Therefore it's no longer standing alone in the system, it's grounded and all the electricity that would normally be eating away it it, will be going through that cable, straight to ground.

I don't believe this is just an idea someone thought up. I believe the tsb states that you need to run a ground cable to the heater core, if the dealer won't do it, go find a better dealer that's more experienced, as other members here have had dealers run the cables for them upon replacement of the heater core.

Good luck!

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does anyone here know where i can get a copy of the TSB about the Repeated Heater Core Failure with more information about this fix.

·
Registered
285 Posts
It's just a matter of soldering a wire to the new heater core, and then bolting down the other end of that wire to the nearest ground connection.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just picked up my car tonight from TASCA Ford Lincoln Mercury in Seekonk, MA and I have to say they have one of the best service centers for a dealer that I've ever dealt with. They replaced the Heater Core for the 3rd time, ran the ground wire like the TSB 01-15- 6 suggests, also replaced the Degas Tank and they covered everything under warranty, I was told when dropping the car off that I'de be responsible for paying for the replacement of the Degas Tank, but everything was completely covered. They took their time and replaced it the correct way unlike my local dealer FALL RIVER FORD here in Fall River, MA that did the job twice and did a Half A$$ed Job, they forced the Heater Core in an bent it really bad according to TASCA service techs... so I'll definately be returning to TASCA for any other issue that requires dealer service.

G

·
Originally posted by 93 Sable@Aug 12 2004, 09:58 PM
Taurus3254JA:

Hey, you're kinda close to me, I live in North Attleboro, MA.
You're kinda close to a lot of people. There's a few members here in the Providence area, some SHO guys in the North Attleboro area (Taunton, Norton, etc), and a bunch more scattered around MA.

I live in North Providence, and travel to Brockton (or Brawkton as the MA people call it :p) for work every day. Pass right through N. Attleboro.

Bob, glad to hear you were satisfied with Tasca. We bought our 97 from them back in 98, and I was pretty happy with them as well.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The only problem I'm having now it when TASCA removed the Dash to replace the heater core they must have disconnected my Remote Start / Alarm so now it doesn't work. But when I picked up the car on Thursday night they did mention that the alarm wasn't working seeing how its an aftermarket alarm they didn't want to mess with it... it's no biggie I already spoke to my buddy that does all my installations and he's gonna take a look at it Monday night.

The service at TASCA was great, If I decide to buy another FORD or MERCURY someday TASCA's my first choice!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts