Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received an email from an acquitance who is having problems with his heating core.

Here's the quote:
...the f-ing heater core went
south! It was repaired two years ago (4,000 miles), and has failed
again! .... And FORD wonders why I don't trust dealership
service!!!!?? So, I can't even think of selling it until I repair it
myself. any thoughts here?[/b]
Anyone can assist in this matter? It would be greatly appreciated beause he's trying to sell his SHO.

·
Registered
799 Posts
How did it go? Is it leaking? Plugged?

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He said it hasn't started leaking yet. THeree is antifreeze odor though. I'm trying to dig out more information on it.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Kinda hard to tell without knowing what it's doing. If there's a coolant smell/foginess on the windows inside the car, it's already leaking.

Kinda weird too, SHO's aren't really known for having problems with them.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
I just fixed an "anti-freeze" odor in my 99 Taurus. I found my problem under the hood. There is (on the driver side) a friction fitted steel pipe going into a manifold to which a heater hose is attached. That pipe rotted out.

If you find a similar problem, the best way to remove the pipe is to apply heat with a propane torch on the manifold, grab the pipe with vicegrips and twist along with tapping the vicegrips. It will come right out.

Foggy

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Might just be loose hose clamps too or mooshy heater hoses at the firewall. This would let coolant leak into the heater core box maybe unnoticed.

·
Registered
799 Posts
SHO's aren't really known for having problems with them[/b]

Maybe not, but TAURUSES are. That could be the problem. Especially gen1 and 2s :blush:
[/b]
Pffft. Everyone knows a SHO is like a gigajillion times better than a Taurus..... :ford:

j/k, but in his origninal post he mentioned it was a SHO.

Bah, forget it there's no way to recover from this one. :lol:

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I told him to check his hoses, both the connection and the condition. He is still having Ford look at it.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Have him check the coolant tank. I used to have the antifreeze smell and that turned out to be the coolant boiling out as my fans weren't turning on when they were supposed to (which turned out to be my ECU not kicking the relays to turn on).

If he sees residue around the cap, have the cap pressure tested first, then go from there. THis is assuming the core isn't leaking, especially inside the car...

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ill see to that. thanks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts