Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

2001 Taurus SE Vulcan 87,000 miles.

I noticed my car's heater wasn't working as well as it should have, so I took it into Ford to have the cooling system flushed. I also replaced the passenger compartment air filter. The problem is that my heater core was plugged, and therefore I wasn't getting hardly any heat.

Ford disconnected the heater core (took the coolant lines off it from the engine compartment side of the firewall) and backflushed it, and I have a good deal of heat back, but I am wondering how much longer this fix can work before I need to have them do something about it. I have seen how much is needed to get at the heater core (the entire passenger compartment needs to be disassembled from the inside of the car [one of my co-workers was going to cut open the firewall on his '96 Taurus to get around this, but simply got rid of the car]), and I seriously don't want to do all of this myself. If anything I would wait until I am on vacation in summer to have a good week of disassembly time; in other words I won't be doing this myself.

Do you think I can make it through this winter like this? Is there anything that can clog it up? From working in the cold and being in decent physical shape I have a decent amount of cold tolerance, I am wondering how much longer I can go before surgery is needed. I am told, and I have seen, that heater cores are a common Taurus problem. I believe that mine was caused by not flushing the cooling system every 30,000 miles.

Thank you very much!

·
Registered
799 Posts
If you have good heat now, you should be OK. The thing to keep an eye on is the rest of the cooling system, keep checking the coolant condition to make sure it's not brown and sludgy looking.

My experience was, at least with my 97, that if I flushed it every year it was OK, and the core never got clogged again. A year for me then was about 10k miles or less, so you may not be able to follow the recommendation of 30k miles between flushes.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update...I looked in my factory repair manual and it doesn't say anything about discharging the a/c system, and I have previously installed an aftermarket stereo, and this doesn't look too difficult.

On the G4's, is this a realistically possible job? Is there something I am missing?

·
Registered
799 Posts
To change the heater core? It's not all that bad on the G3/4 cars. Give yourself a full day and you should be fine.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sweet! thanks alot! I was talking with our company fleet mechanic, who said what you have told me, and it sounds good.

Thank you very much! I should go and find something to do with my $600.

Have a good one,

=d

·
Registered
799 Posts
Spend the money you save on nekkid girls and booze. If you need bail money lemme know. :p

·
Premium Member
14,124 Posts
I wouldn't change out the heater core unless it was completely plugged or leaking.

Unhook the hoses from the firewall. Get some short pieces of hose and attach to the core pipes.

Get a funnel and put in one of the hoses supporting it so it stays upright. Then crimp off the lower hose with a vise grip or something similar.

Pour in some CLR or and Iron Out mix into the funnel and let it drip out through the crimped other hose. Do this for a couple of hours then flush with a garden hose.

Hot vinegar works too but it's hard to keep it hot.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts