Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter's 2001 Taurus was losing coolant and no heat. They checked it and found a leaking heater core.

Cost to repair is close to $ 800.00! (I called many shops and they are all close in price)

How ridiculous! What a poor design.

The dash has to be pulled to get to it and the air conditioning needs to be sucked out and then replaced.

**The bad part is I live in Michigan and she moved out to Colorado so I can't really help her at all.

·
Registered
23,350 Posts
On an 01, ac doesnt need discharged (only thru 95). Check out youtube channel: realfixesrealfast- heater core shortcut video (for taurus).

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
I am pretty sure the leave the dash in G3 shortcut also works on a G4. The mentioned video is pretty good, and clearly shows how easy it is to DIY. I have done it on a few G3's. Repair shops love Taurus heater core jobs. They bill for the book rate dash removal, and pull the shortcut. Easy money...
I hope a TCCA member near her can step up and help out.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice video

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
That's it! On a G3 there is no tab to cut off. Use a 1/4" drive with an extension to remove the fasteners near the windshield, and be careful not to whack the ratchet handle against the windshield glass when breaking them loose. It's not real clear in the vid, but you need to push UP on the the dash panel also when pulling out or putting in the core. I only pull the dash out about 2", not nearly as far as in the video. Can do it 1-man, but a helper to do the pull/lift on the dash while you pull the core is better.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does anyone know if the above procedure avoids the ac evac and recharge procedure?

Why would that need to be done anyway?

·
Registered
670 Posts
I just flushed my cooling system for the winter and got most of my heat back. I still have less heat at idle but plenty when on the interstate above 2k rpm (about 150F) but i am really wanting to do my heatercore now because after all the gunk i pulled out of the cooling system in the flush this year and last year i am betting my core is plugged a little too.

Will have to bookmark this video to do this before i do my cooling system flush next summer.

Looking at Rockauto i would probably go with the AC Delco core as its probably the best quality one out there but $70 is ouch!

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I sent the car repair place the video and talked to the owner. Not sure they used the shortcut. But I did get hammered for the 5 hours of labor.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
So I sent the car repair place the video and talked to the owner. Not sure they used the shortcut. But I did get hammered for the 5 hours of labor.
They probably knew about the shortcut already, it is a huge money maker for any professional shop or stealership. Hope they at least kissed you after they f***ed you.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They didn't.....:(

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No. I still got hit for the $ 800.00

·
Registered
10 Posts
My daughter's 2001 Taurus was losing coolant and no heat. They checked it and found a leaking heater core.

Cost to repair is close to $ 800.00! (I called many shops and they are all close in price)

How ridiculous! What a poor design.

The dash has to be pulled to get to it and the air conditioning needs to be sucked out and then replaced.

**The bad part is I live in Michigan and she moved out to Colorado so I can't really help her at all.
Where is she in colorado? Is it really $800???? that's too much,I got an estimate of $525 shop cost when I checked it here on auto repair estimates. Maybe I should opt for DIY if it would only cost me $58 for the heater core part.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
And that would be why mechanics don't go into stand-up. The only guy laughing is the cameraman (his brother I assume). And I'm not so sure he isn't just choking on Cheetos.

Bad comedy makes me sad. :(

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
That video is a really great shortcut. Too bad he didn't take some pictures with a camera and narrate for the hard to see stuff.

Repair dude in the first vid left off two minor things. Remove the scuff plates in the door openings so you can slide the dash out easier (notice the dash was catching on the passenger one). Also consider taping off the ends of the heater core before you slide it out, so you don't drip coolant inside the car.

And don't set car parts on your car's paint, then drag them across to show to the camera. Scratching up the clearcoat!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts