Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I was changing the plugs/wires this afternoon, I can see that my heater core hoses are severely rusted close to the crimps and paint is bubbling all over. Just a simple question really, are they a dealer item only? Or generic parts store? What should I be expecting to pay for these things?

Looks like a tight fit too, and pointers or suggestions?
Oh, just to add its a 2001 Duratec.

Cory

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
i acctually had one of them blow out on my sable 3 weeks ago... it is a dealer only item and the one i need was between 50 and 200 bucks (cant remember which it was) and i am probably going to take the upper intake off to make some room back there

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
Screw that crap, do what I did, and replace them with regular rubber hose. I'd rather replace it once a year with a new rubber hose, then get extorted by the dealership for 50-200 bucks for a special hard line. That's what I did on my mom's car, and it's been working great for a while now. I kept beating my head against the pavement trying to figure out where her water was going. It finally got so bad that I saw where it was coming from. ALL of her hard lines on the back of the engine bay were leaking to some degree. I just bypassed them all with rubber hoses and things have been great since.

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
my only worry with doing that is that the egr tube is pretty close to the one line and i dont want it melting through. did you route them the same as factory or just sorta where ever they worked best?

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
I rerouted it as FAR away from the exhaust as I could. I think that was the main reason Ford used the hard lines, but why the [email protected]!#$ couldn't they use metal that isn't 100% guaranteed to rust out. You don't even want to know what the custom hose on the bottom of the water pump for the duratec costs.

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
I remember reading several posts about these expensive metal tubings rusting out from outside. Is it Duratec only or Vulcan also?

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
I've used bulk heater hose on every engine I've had sooner or later. Just get plenty so you can route it away from anything that may damage it.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow, lots of replies overnight. I justed finished calling the stealer and they want 120 for the pair. I think thats nuts! I'm going to buy some hose and do my best to route them. MRBooMy, you have any pictures to show how you exactly did this would be fantastic.

Thanks again to everyone,

Cory

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
The infamous pump inlet hose on the 'tec is the less than a foot metal pipe that costs $250. Some heater hose and a few zip ties is all you need.

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
napa cannot get the formed steel hoses but at the dealership the hoses were listed from 96 to 00 so maybe they can get the ones for the newer cars? i am pretty sure i am going to try the heater hose thing, how did you get the 90 degree elbows on there? so that they didnt kink also noticed my inlet hose is rusting pretty badly... can that be replaced with rubber as well i would like to do as much of this as possible while it is all drained and appart

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update: The hoses from Napa were not even close to being the right ones. I just used heater hoses (5/8") and routed it myself, but had troubles with it from kinking or touching the EGR tube. I just used aluminum piping (flexible stuff) and placed the hoses inside of it so it will not melt. I finally got it in, but this job was one of the biggest pains to do. The clamps were hard to reach and were facing in the wrong direction to reach. I took the intake plenum off to get some more room which seemed to help.

Cory

1 - 13 of 13 Posts