Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after about 1.5 hours or so of scraping, cutting and bruising my forearms and then asking forgiveness for cursing like a sailor, I finally got those sorry hoses off. What a mess of a configuration all that is. The aluminum pipes (black) all crossing and then some kind of bracket tying the upper hose to the lower hose and of course blocking any easy passage to get to the dang hose clamps. That's a freaking beast. In the process I managed to either discover a breakage or break some sort of sensor that is just to the passenger side of the EGR valve right behind the intake manifold. Its black and rectangular, pretty thin and has an electrical connector on the back and feeds into to aluminum pipes covered in rubber. I am going to look in the manuals and see if I can figure out what it is.

Going to continue work on Saturday. I read on some of the comments under the shortcut to replacing heater core video on You Tube that you don't have to cut that bracket, you just have to raise the dash up a bit higher. Can anyone on here confirm that for me? I need to go buy a dremmel tool otherwise, but would just prefer to skip that whole part if possible. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't understand dpfe. Can you elaborate?

By the way it looks like the sensor I broke was the EGR Vacuum solenoid pressure sensor. It's like $30 at advance auto parts, so at least that's going to keep me well under the $675 I was quoted for replacing the heater core. Still saving money!

Can anyone confirm for me that they successfully replaced the heater core without cutting off that metal bracket under the dash as shown in the Heater Core Shortcut video on youtube?

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
DIfferential Pressure Feedback Egr sensor. Yes, the part you found is the correct part.

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
hi,

my '99 wagon and sable did not have that bracket.

take your time and hope you have a warm winter inside the car!

regards

·
Registered
23 Posts
my 2001 24valve dohc developed a leek in those pipes so i by passed them and used a springed bendable housing to keep the ruber hoses away from the egr tube.
I used a bunch of extesions on my ratchet to reach the hose clamps but ended up cutting the hoses off in the first place so dont know if this method will help. good luck

·
Registered
12 Posts
IMHO hose clamp cable pliers are the way to go. F**ing downward facing Ford heater hose spring clamps! Well worth the thirty bucks!

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
IMHO hose clamp cable pliers are the way to go. F**ing downward facing Ford heater hose spring clamps! Well worth the thirty bucks!
Sometimes the right tool says it all!! Had a Dodge Caravan that was PITA to, I still think Ford gets most of it right. I always end up with the hard ones too!!B) Just bought T50 Torx for pulling power steering pump and all. Some of these are not just laying around.
Good Luck!! Downhill~~~~

·
Registered
4 Posts
I replaced the heater core 97 Taurus G two days ago without cutting the bracket. It takes two people but pulling the dash aft about 6 inches and tilting it up gives enough clearance to remove the core.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts