Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1999 Ford Taurus SE 175K Km

For the last 2 years, my Taurus just won't blow warm air through the vents. I have tried several coolant flushes, heater core flushes with no results. Here is the problem: I get no warm air through the vents and the amount of air coming out of the vents is quite low and doesnt vary when I go from Lo to Hi. In defroster mode, the volume of air coming out of the vents (the ones right next to the windshield) does vary when I go from Lo to Hi. However, the air is lukewarm at the most. I have been told many things about the probable causes by different mechanics - anywhere from Blown Head Gasket (I am positive its not) to Bad Blower Motor (then why would it blow hard in defroster mode) to a Bad Heater Core (maybe, not sure). I recall reading that there is an acutator behind the dash that fails in these cars, causing the door to get stuck in the open/close position leading to either no heat or no cold air. BTW the A/C works perfectly fine and no problem in the air volume coming out of the vents.

I really appreciate your help. This problem makes the cold Canadian winters seem so much longer and my 12v plug in heater doesnt make the situation any better.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Check the hoses at the heater core. They should be just about the same temperature. If they are not, then the heater core is plugged. Another flush may help (do the heater core separately from the rest of the system). If not, it's time for a new one.

If both hoses are the same temp then your problem lies elsewhere. I've never taken a dash apart in a gen 3, so I can't comment on the blend door, or anything related to it.

Another common problem on these engines is the water pump's impeller vanes rotting away, causing poor coolant flow.

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
Another common problem on these engines is the water pump's impeller vanes rotting away, causing poor coolant flow.
[/b]

:werd:

Where does the temp gauge sit after the car has been running for a while? If it's low, your thermostat could be stuck open.

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
Sounds like one or more actuators are stuck or not working properly. Could be as easy as the controll behind the selector knob has gone bad. If you have manual climate control the actuators are vacuum powered, a leak can cause problems with non responsive or partially open diverters.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice guys. I have Manual climate control (3 knobs), is the actuator problem common in these models? Not sure if it only applies to the ones with auto climate control.

The temp guage needle sits at a bit less than 1/3 of the way and doesnt fluctuate. I am sure that the thermostat is good.

I will check the heater core hoses, I haven't checked for that yet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts