Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 97 taurus gl, 123k miles. I have been leaking water from the oval opening in the firewall near the heater core. Is the core clogged or in need of replacement? Leaking quite a bit of water, need to refill after every trip. Any help would be great. thanks

·
Registered
670 Posts
Sounds like there is no way a flush is going to help. Might just be one of the hoses going to the core, but as prone as they are to plugging up i would just bite the bullet and replace it so you have heat in the winter.

Myne is plugged up and doesn't leak but i don't get any heat.

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
Change the core NOW while the weather is nice, youll be sorry if you wait.

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
I've used the shortcut method. I swear to God Ford needs to burn for saying you have to remove the dash. I did it that way the first time, and it took me all weekend. With the shortcut method, I was done in 3 hours. Just make sure you have help, you can't move the dash around by yourself, trust me on this, I'm a big strong guy, and I still needed help.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Sounds like i will be replacing my core this fall too before the cold kicks in but too hot right now as well.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
make sure its NOT your heater core bypass hoses that are leaking

·
Super Moderator
8,590 Posts
make sure its NOT your heater core bypass hoses that are leaking
Good point! From the OPs original post, it sounds to me like it is leaking at the firewall under the hood. If so, the core is likely fine, and there is a leaking hose, loose clamp, etc.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts