Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm looking for the method for heater core removal that I saw several years ago on TCCA. I believe I saw it in this thread:

http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/82-maintenance-repair/123082-heater-core-replacement.html

Specifically, this post:

http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/98-...03-97-taurus-heater-core-r-r.html#post1355701

However, the post has been edited because of "proprietary information". I believe this post contained the link to the trade publication that outlined the repair very well, step by step. There are several references to the repair elsewhere on the forum, but I remember something about an easily broken arm in front of the cover on the core...there was somewhat of a trick to keep from damaging it.

Does anyone have that link, still? I thought I had saved the article, but now I can't find it in my archives.

Thanks in advance...I've been putting this job off for a couple of years but my wife deserves to have heat in the car in the winter this year. Not being able to clear frost off the windshield in the morning has become a safety hazard.

Found it, click here.

<------ If you found this post useful, please hit the "rep" button to the left.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I was looking for one specific to 96-99...the one at the link there at YouTube, while good, isn't really correct for the 96-99. I don't remember *anything* about cutting the bracket off the dash on the 96-99 specific R&R description. That tab on the dash at the Youtube link is for 00+ cars, when they used the apparatus at the factory to load the dash into the vehicle...then the tab isn't used any more. That tab doesn't exist on the 96-99 cars.

That said...does anyone still have the link where the 96-99 specific how-to was described?

Thanks!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Found it:

http://www.airsept.com/Articles/RecycleGuard/macs_SR03.03.pdf
This really does need to be made into a permanent part of this site. Do I need to re-write the Wiki, so other people won't have to do a massive search just to try and find this incredibly valuable piece of information?

I paid $75 for a Ford core at the dealership, so it turns a $800+ repair into a $75 repair...I would think that this would be important to the DIY community here at TCCA, if nothing else than to save a literal boatload of cash...let me know if I need to re-do the Wiki.​

If you found this post useful, please "rep" me by hitting the button to the left.

<--------------

·
Registered
23,366 Posts
The youtube video is relevant for gen.3s except the bracket (tab) removal. You are correct, mia on the gen.3s ive done.

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Wow, this really stinks, even the appropriate section in the Wiki is blank:

Gen 3 and 4 96-on Heater Core Replacement - without removing the dash - Taurus Car Club Maintenance and Modification Wiki

...what happened, did TCCA tick someone off badly enough that they had to remove all traces of removing the heater core easily? I would think the dealers were losing tons of cash from owners actually being able to do it themselves...?

Makes you wonder. :unsure:
Thanks. I copied the PDF to my hard drive for future reference. 1000 Thank yous. Yeah I really get bent when this forum does not keep technical information in a reasonable area. This doc needs to be recorded somewhere where it's easy to get.

Monsoon

·
Registered
121 Posts
Found it:

http://www.airsept.com/Articles/RecycleGuard/macs_SR03.03.pdf
This really does need to be made into a permanent part of this site. Do I need to re-write the Wiki, so other people won't have to do a massive search just to try and find this incredibly valuable piece of information?

I paid $75 for a Ford core at the dealership, so it turns a $800+ repair into a $75 repair...I would think that this would be important to the DIY community here at TCCA, if nothing else than to save a literal boatload of cash...let me know if I need to re-do the Wiki.​
Thanks a million. This type info is the reason people visit this forum.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
Repair shops love this job. You know they do the shortcut and charge for the dash R&R. The video is the same for G3's, without the tab cut. I can do one in under 1 hour.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Well guys, I'm well into this job...it's just cake so far. I've split it up into component parts so the wife can still drive the car everyday even though I'm working on it.

The next step is unbolting the dash and physically exchanging the bad core for the good one. Sum total of time working on it so far: 20 minutes! I can't believe how easy this job is actually going to be using these instructions.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Old heater core out...new core in. It took me about 10 minutes just making sure the dash was back in the car correctly, then 10 minutes cleaning up the mess I made when I put a bottle of beer on top of the car and it fell off and broke. I spent just as much time cleaning up the beer mess as I did pulling and pushing the dash.

Another 5 minutes hooking the blend door linkages back up and verifying the actuator works correctly (turning the knob on the right back and forth) before the batteries went dead on my trouble light, and I'm done...hooking up the hoses tomorrow and then we should have heat.

Dare I say it...this has actually been fun. I sort of dreaded it before I started, but it's been a cinch so far...having the right tools helps =)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts