Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings Fellas,

A friend of mine has a 1997 Taurus GL, it's a fine piece of transportation, but having issues with the defrost.

My gut feel is that the heater core is plugged, but I want to be sure before going to the trouble of replacing it. I'll share what I know, then any comments would be welcome in understanding the next steps.

He drove the car over to my house, so everything was at operating temperature. When we first turned on the defrost, the air that came out was very hot, then quickly went cold. We played with the control knobs a bit, which are all kind of messed up. None of them stay on very well, but I was able to operate them with a set of needle nose pliers. My primary concern was that the AC was running the whole time on defrost, making the air coming out of the defrost vents quite cold. I'm wondering if the AC running is normal for defrost, I'm guessing maybe to take moisture out of the air???

Anyway, before replacing the heater core, I want to be sure that is the issue opposed to there being a problem with the control unit, which would obviously be a lot easier to replace.

Thanks in advance for your guidance
Chris

·
Registered
670 Posts
the compressor works on defrost to dry out the air.

Does the air come hot out of the vent setting?

·
Registered
191 Posts
From the Taurus Owner's Guide, Chapter Climate Controls: " Defrost - Distributes outside air through the windshield defroster ducts. It can be used to clear ice or fog from the windshield. If the temperature is about 6°C (43°F) or higher, the air conditioner will automatically dehumidify the air to reduce fogging."

For blocked heater core and way to clean it, read this: http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/98-...29385-writeup-clinton-gen-3-heater-flush.html

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I'll thought I remembered my brother saying something about the AC running on defrost for drying the air out.

The flushing write up looks great, looking forward to giving this a shot.

All the best
Chris

·
Registered
23,353 Posts
If it comes down to replacing the heater core, be sure to check out the youtube: taurus heater core shortcut video. And google: macs-airsept. Click on the first (top) pdf and scroll down to heater core repair tips. Both are excellent aids.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Check the heater core hoses. If they feel about the same temp when the car is warmed up then the heater core is probably o.k.

Maybe you have some air in the system.

·
Premium Member
2003 Ford taurus Centennial Edition
1,405 Posts
My experience was that the coolant was just low enough that it wasn't circulating properly thru the core....you might want to check that..just sayin'

·
Registered
670 Posts
My experience was that the coolant was just low enough that it wasn't circulating properly thru the core....you might want to check that..just sayin'

That is true. When i had a crack in my overflow tank i would know to add coolant when the heat stopped working in the winter, because the level was too low.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Im just guessing would it work to clamp off the bypass hose and just run the car? would that force the heater core to unclog?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts