Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today we were at the ford dealer test driving a new Ford Edge. While we were driving we were talking about my taurus and all the things i had done to it. The conversation turned to defroster lines and how on Subarus they have defrost lines under the wipers to unfreeze them in the winter time. The guy told me that in the mid nineties Ford was putting an actual heated glass windshield on some of the more expensive tauruses, where you could hit a switch and the glass would actually heat itself. He said it was a really expensive option, but i had never heard of it. Has anybody else heard about this? Was this real or maybe real on a different model or generation?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Yeah I've heard of this. I've also heard that it was really expensive if the glass needed replacement.

·
Premium Member
4,065 Posts
It was an option on Gen Is. Most likely Continentals and the Panther cars could get them as well. The glass is expensive and the heating elements are known to burn out so nobody really wanted them here.

Ford still installs it on cars in other markets.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow looks like the windshield is not the only thing thats different. One would also have to change alternator wiring.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Once in a long while I still see an old Sable with the Instaclear. The windshield dactually looks brownish-orange. If you need to replace one due to a crack they are godawful expensive.

Also, EZ Pass transducers and radar detectors will not work properly through them.

·
Registered
76 Posts
In Reguards to the Instaclear, yes The windshield was very expensive to replace... try 1500$. The windshield had a thin layer of "gold" foil in between the layers of glass. It was conductive and when fed with electricity it simply heated up, however the car had to be in park for it to work. When you hit the button, the engine reved to around 2500 rpm while the GIGANTIC alternator (special order) on the 3.8L essex engine provided the needed power. My parents owned a 89 Taurus LX wagon when i was a kid and it worked great until the windshield cracked.

By the way the new electric windshields DO NOT Work on this principle. The glass on brand new explorers etc.(option on the limited models) simply has very small wires in between the two layers of glass. If you have good light and look very closely at the windshield you can see them. The difference is that the new meathod can be used any time while driving the vehicle vs the old instaclear that only worked when the vechile was stationary.

·
Registered
512 Posts
In Reguards to the Instaclear, yes The windshield was very expensive to replace... try 1500$. The windshield had a thin layer of "gold" foil in between the layers of glass. It was conductive and when fed with electricity it simply heated up, however the car had to be in park for it to work. When you hit the button, the engine reved to around 2500 rpm while the GIGANTIC alternator (special order) on the 3.8L essex engine provided the needed power. My parents owned a 89 Taurus LX wagon when i was a kid and it worked great until the windshield cracked.

By the way the new electric windshields DO NOT Work on this principle. The glass on brand new explorers etc.(option on the limited models) simply has very small wires in between the two layers of glass. If you have good light and look very closely at the windshield you can see them. The difference is that the new meathod can be used any time while driving the vehicle vs the old instaclear that only worked when the vechile was stationary.
[/b]
the up armored trucks in iraq have that in the windsheild if you look close enough you can see the lines. we also have what is called a c-truck that is a backhoe built on a mercades truck that has that in the windshield we had to replace a few of them in iraq and it was 2400 a peice that the army paid for that was just a regular windsheild not armored

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Everything sold to the government costs twice as much...

I've noticed the last generation Dodge Caravans had the defroster lines at the bottom of the windshield where the wipers sit... Kind of a neat thing to have I guess... In my old G2, the wipers "off" position was in the well where the intake for the heater system is and when you turned on the wipers, on the intermittent settings, the wipers would rest maybe 3 inches up from where the off position was... On cold days I'd just turn the wipers on to the lowest intermittent setting and let the wipers sit ontop of the part of the windshield right above the defrost vent... Can't do that on my G3 since the wipers just sit at the low position...

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
Everything sold to the government costs twice as much...

I've noticed the last generation Dodge Caravans had the defroster lines at the bottom of the windshield where the wipers sit... Kind of a neat thing to have I guess... In my old G2, the wipers "off" position was in the well where the intake for the heater system is and when you turned on the wipers, on the intermittent settings, the wipers would rest maybe 3 inches up from where the off position was... On cold days I'd just turn the wipers on to the lowest intermittent setting and let the wipers sit ontop of the part of the windshield right above the defrost vent... Can't do that on my G3 since the wipers just sit at the low position...
[/b]
That's when you gotta do the dorky wiper flip-up thing so they don't freeze to the windshield :D

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's when you gotta do the dorky wiper flip-up thing so they don't freeze to the windshield :D
[/b]
Unfortunately the gen 2 bull wont allow the wipers to do the dorky waving thing.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
Unfortunately the gen 2 bull wont allow the wipers to do the dorky waving thing.
[/b][/quote]

I still would like to be able to put some heat under my wipers while I'm driving though... Today I was driving in 15 degree F weather and my wipers were pretty stiff... It's gonna be 5F tomorrow! Back with my G2, that "leaving the wipers sit over the vents" trick was enhanced by the fact my wiper switch was burned out... All that worked with any certainty was the low setting... The high setting would freeze and unfreeze at different positions and was slow as hell... 90% of the time the intermittent settings would work only for the first swipe, and then after the amount of time past, they wouldn't come on again! This really helped me park my wipers in the right position... I could bet money that if I put it into one of those settings, the wipers would never move unless I turned it into a higher setting!

The funny things we do with our bulls when they get older!

·
Premium Member
7,306 Posts
I loosened up my wiper arms and turned them a bit. So when they are all the way down they aren't all the way down.

But I usually flip them up.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts