Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My driver side heated seat is no longer working in my 2010 Taurus Limited. the button on the dash will light up for a while then goes out. Long story short i ordered replacement elements, part #AG1Z 14D696 N. The replacement part has a pigtail on it that should plug in somewhere but I can find no such plug on my seats anywhere. I have the seat completely apart and the is no plug coming off the leather seat cover or the seat cushion. Does anyone know anything about this? Or how these things work? Thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have searched and searched the web for info on this and have found nothing. I have no idea how these seats even work as there is no wires from the leather seat cover or the foam cushion anywhere. And no kind of heating element like the replacements I ordered anywhere on the seats. So how do these even work? These are actual Ford OEM parts and they say they are for my vehicle. I am totally at a lose on this one. Do this elements work wirelessly?

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
My 2011 Limited has heated/cooled seats. This style of seat does not have a heating element. It has a Thermo-Electric Device (TED). Is this how your car is equipped?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My 2011 Limited has heated/cooled seats. This style of seat does not have a heating element. It has a Thermo-Electric Device (TED). Is this how your car is equipped?
Yes I believe so. Are these seats not repairable?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After reading these responses i checked the TED under the drivers seat and when the switch on the dash indicates it is on the fan under the drivers seat is not running. Could this be the problem?

·
Registered
27 Posts
If your car has a navigation system, you can turn the ignition on, then press the 3 and 6 buttons on radio at the same time for several seconds. This will put the system into diagnostic mode. Press exit test in the lower right corner. Then press View DTCs to see if you have any fault code set.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If your car has a navigation system, you can turn the ignition on, then press the 3 and 6 buttons on radio at the same time for several seconds. This will put the system into diagnostic mode. Press exit test in the lower right corner. Then press View DTCs to see if you have any fault code set.
OK did that and got codes UO15500 lost com with IPC and code UO16400 lost com with HVAC. Also the fan on the TED under the driver seat does come on when I turn on the cooled seat but does not come on when I turn on the heated seat.

·
Registered
27 Posts
These codes indicate an issue with the cars communication network. Try clearing the codes, operating heated seats, and see if they come back. I've had a UO15500, clear it, and never saw it again. Here is a description of the system operation from the shop manual. Use the exploded views and the wiring diagrams to help guide you through it. All of the troubleshoot steps refer to using the dealer scan tool to put the seat in diagnostic mode and running test.

I recommend pulling both front seats and inspecting all wiring for damage or corrosion, and cleaning all electrical connections with contact cleaner. ( The common controller for both front seats is under the passenger seat)

Dual Climate Controlled Seat Module (DCSM)
Front Controls Interface Module (FCIM)
Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC)

SHOP MANUAL:
Both the driver and front passenger climate controlled seats are independently controlled by the DCSM . The climate controlled seat system only operates with the engine running above 350 rpm, however, if using a scan tool to command the DCSM , diagnostic testing can be carried out with the ignition on and engine off. The DCSM does not time out. The DCSM receives voltage from the Battery Junction Box (BJB) on 2 separate circuits. If one pin does not receive voltage, both seats will remain operational because the voltage supply circuits are internally connected in the DCSM .
If a fault occurs setting a DTC, only the affected seat will be disabled by the module. If the system shuts down due to a DTC fault, cycling the ignition OFF and then ON again will reset the DCSM to function until the DTC resets.
The 4 buttons (identified with seat icons), located on the FCIM , activate each seat system setting and illuminate indicators on each button to indicate the operating mode, 3 indicators for high, 2 indicators for med or 1 indicator for low. The push-buttons with the blue seat icon operate the seat cooling mode and the push-buttons with the red seat icon operate the seat heating mode. The climate controlled seat system is not equipped with auto-mode.
The climate controlled seat button commands are communicated from the FCIM over the MS-CAN to the HVAC module and then to the DCSM . Upon receiving a command, the DCSM then communicates what state (high, medium, low or off) it is in back to the HVAC module. The HVAC module then commands the FCIM to turn the indicators on or off. The climate controlled seat system can only operate if all 3 modules are communicating correctly on the MS-CAN .
Each driver and front passenger seat cushion and backrest is equipped with a Thermo-Electric Device (TED) assembly that includes a seat blower (fan motor, serviced as an assembly with the TED ). Applying voltage polarity to the TED in one direction, causes it to heat. Applying voltage polarity in the opposite direction causes the TED to cool. Cabin air is drawn through the blower and distributed to each of the TED modules located in the seat cushion and backrest. The TEDs then heat or cool the incoming air depending on the control switch settings. The air is then directed into the foam pad and manifold where it is distributed along the surface of the cushion and backrest of the seat. Once the system is activated, the DCSM controls the heating/cooling modes and the blower speed dependant on the settings.
The temperature differences between the individual heated and cooled settings is minimal. For example, it is difficult to distinguish between low cool and medium cool settings. Measuring seat temperature at different settings is possible by monitoring the DCSM PIDs using the scan tool.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts