Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie question of the day. Just-how can i tell if my (broken) windshield is heated or non-heated? What does this mean? There are no inlayed wires on mine so did i answer my own question?

91 bull wagon GL. thx in advance

·
Premium Member
2,492 Posts
I can't tell you.

But info like Year, Trim Level, etc. might help others...

·
Registered
336 Posts
Originally posted by Firespirit@Oct 21 2004, 06:47 PM
The windshield was never heated. The rear window has a defrost though. You have vents for the front.
Not quite.

Gen I Sables (and possibly Tauruses) had the option of a windshield De-Icer, aka Windshield Heater. This is easily identified if your windshield has a copper tint to it, and there will be a button on the dash for it, on the Sable it was right next to the rear defrost switch.

·
Premium Member
10,632 Posts
Originally posted by submariner+Oct 21 2004, 08:53 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (submariner @ Oct 21 2004, 08:53 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Firespirit@Oct 21 2004, 06:47 PM
The windshield was never heated. The rear window has a defrost though. You have vents for the front.
Not quite.

Gen I Sables (and possibly Tauruses) had the option of a windshield De-Icer, aka Windshield Heater. This is easily identified if your windshield has a copper tint to it, and there will be a button on the dash for it, on the Sable it was right next to the rear defrost switch. [/b][/quote]
:huh: Wow, never knew that. :D Thanks for setting me straight :)

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Yeah, the "Insta-Clear" windsheild. It's made of an ultra thin coat of silver and zinc oxide sandwiched between two peices of glass and vinyl.

J

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by Qwertz9586@Oct 22 2004, 07:17 PM
Yeah, the "Insta-Clear" windsheild. It's made of an ultra thin coat of silver and zinc oxide sandwiched between two peices of glass and vinyl.
Yep, I think the reason they discontinued it was due to high replacement cost, I thought it was a great feature though. :( I wish I knew somebody who had it so I could see it work.

The only advice I can give you to figure out if you have one or not is, would there be an on/off switch for it? I would check the index of your owner's manual (if you don't have one, you can get one for about $8 on ebay) and look up "Insta-Clear". :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts