Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 2003 SES Sport after giving my daughter my 2001 SES. After purchase, noted that the 2003 doesn't have heated mirrors. Talked to the salesman and the technicians, thinking it would be a simple job to just purchase heated mirrors, but doesn't work that way. Was under the impression that the wiring harnesses were all the same to facilitate a "plug and play" type of set up. The technicians tell me they would have to order a new wiring harness to the tune of abut $1500, plus the mirrors. Thought I'd ask some of you if you had any ideas, (short of buying a bic lighter). Any aftermarket stuff out there that might work?

·
Registered
411 Posts
See, you should have got a Sable LS Premium, it would have had the "Touring Package" (ABS, Moonroof, Leather) and heated mirrors.

You would have also had FOG LIGHTS!!!! WOOO-HOOO!!!!!!

J/K

J

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by JJ57@Dec 23 2003, 10:45 AM
See, you should have got a Sable LS Premium, it would have had the "Touring Package" (ABS, Moonroof, Leather) and heated mirrors.

You would have also had FOG LIGHTS!!!! WOOO-HOOO!!!!!!

J/K
I put the Sable foglights on my 2001 SES

·
Registered
411 Posts
I put the Sable foglights on my 2001 SES [/b]
Yea, but that's cheatin'!!!

Back to the mirror thing, $1500+ to install heated mirrors.... WTF!?!?!?

You need to get a 03 service manual and a wiring diagram. They are programed to run off the rear defrost switch, so do a trace and take a look. Are the Techs really sure about that?

Havivng 2 separate wiring harnesses and contols is not cost effective, all it would be is 2 more plugs and connector that goes to the rear defrost relay.

Or, you could take the mirrors and wiring out of the 01 that you gave to your daughter, but that would be mean.

J

·
0 Posts
That's weird... I always thought my heated mirrors were just always on... I never realized they worked on the rear defogger switch. It must just be coincidence that any time I've noticed the mirrors working the rear defogger is on - chances are that's what happens.
And, yes $1500 sounds terribly high for that. I'm willing to bet there's a factory aftermarket kit for the heated mirros, at least I would think so. That's where I got my Sable foglights - a factory aftermarket kit.

*edit* - you might want to check ebay - that's how I got my fogs

B

·
0 Posts
That's new information to me. I added heated mirrors to our 97, and the plug, harnesses, and relay were already there. I'd pull off the door panels and check into that If I were you.

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
On a related note, I have heated mirrors on my SHO, but they don't work. The rear defrost works just fine, but the side mirrors don't get warm. I asked the V8SHO guys, but my email got hijacked from the start and no one could offer me any insight. I guess that's what happens when nobody knows the answer.

I really don't have any need for heated mirrors, though. What IS the point, anyway? Kinda like heated seats... they sound like a great idea, until you get a car that has them, and suddenly you realize they don't do much for you.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The technicians at my dealership are young, knowledgeable and willing to help (that's why I bought the vehicle where I did, because of the maintenance techs and from past experience with the 01 SES). They showed me in the electrical schematic and took the driver side mirror off just to make sure. Soooo, I'm certain just adding heated mirrors won't do the trick. Must have been some changes in the wiring harness in the past couple of years. I, and the techs, think what happened was the addition of the "auto dimming" inside rear view mirror with compass (which I don't have, and don't really care about). That wiring harness was incorporated into the heated mirror harness. In other words, the convenience package includes the heated mirror, AND the inside "auto dimming" mirror all of which is mated to the rear defrost system, thus the expense of the wiring harness.

B

·
0 Posts
I'm sure they know what they're talking about. However, you can't tell if the harness is there by taking the mirror off. You need to look inside the door.

SixFo, neither of your mirrors work? I would guess a fuse or a relay is to blame.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Bob is right, the door panel is where the harness and plug would be, not the mirror housing.

On a side note, the Auto-Dim Rearview mirror is isolated from the Rear Defrost System, and has nothing to do with it. It's power feed comes from the roof.

And where the hell are they getting that $1500+ quote from, have they given you a price breakdown? That just seems crazy.

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Originally posted by Bob Gervais@Dec 23 2003, 02:29 PM
SixFo, neither of your mirrors work?  I would guess a fuse or a relay is to blame.
Yeah, that's what I figured. I tried asking if the heated mirrors and rear defrost were indeed on the same circuit, or if they were relayed together, but the thread went OT and never came back. I have the Ford CD, but it's such an ancient format, it's practically impossible to get 10% or more of the info you need on the same screen all at once. The only thing I use it for is vacuum diagrams and part number references. I'll dig into the fuse panel tonight and see if that uncovers any info.

J

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by wkohler@Dec 23 2003, 02:20 PM
The technicians at my dealership are young, knowledgeable and willing to help (that's why I bought the vehicle where I did, because of the maintenance techs and from past experience with the 01 SES). They showed me in the electrical schematic and took the driver side mirror off just to make sure. Soooo, I'm certain just adding heated mirrors won't do the trick. Must have been some changes in the wiring harness in the past couple of years. I, and the techs, think what happened was the addition of the "auto dimming" inside rear view mirror with compass (which I don't have, and don't really care about). That wiring harness was incorporated into the heated mirror harness. In other words, the convenience package includes the heated mirror, AND the inside "auto dimming" mirror all of which is mated to the rear defrost system, thus the expense of the wiring harness.
I don't have the autodimming mirror & compass on my 01 SES, but I do have the heated mirrors - so the option must have been separate - for the 01 model at least...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry, didn't mean to imply that the inside mirror was part of the defrost system. What I did mean to say was that it APPEARED that the harness, forwhatever reason, was part of the auto dimming mirror harness; thus the reason for getting heated mirrors and inside auto dimming in one buy. That's correct; in 01 you got heated mirrors by virtue of the SES package; however, Ford, in their infinite wisdom, and to make more money, added that as an option resulting in the "whatever" package that gets you the heated outside mirror, along with the auto dimming inside mirror with compass. And yes, they did remove the door panel during the inspection. Will follow up more on the issue when I return to the dealership for an oil change.

J

·
0 Posts
I see... I would have liked to have the autodimming mirror & compass - the compass more than anything, but oh well - I've searched around in junkyards but to no avail, plus I don't know how much of a pain it would be to wire anyways. Well, good luck with the mirrors - I certainly hope they can come up with a better solution than the $1500 one!

·
Registered
411 Posts
I probably figured that Ford did someting stupid like that, but here is my take on the matter.

All of the pervious cars, like Bob's had the harness in the door, but *** still had the harness.

I can understand if Ford wanted to make more money by offering the mirrors as an option, that would make more money. However, if they decided to change the harness, and have two, that would defeat the purpose of it in the frist place.

This is someting that I would follow up on. You might also want to shoot Ford engineering an E-mail and tell them your situation.

Jason, about that mirror, because you have a moonroof, there is a lead directly in the front where the map lights are. Call a dealer and get a price on a mirror and kit.

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
I have a 97 GL, and no heated mirrors. If I wanted heated mirrors, all I need is the mirror that says "Heated" on it? or is the harness in the GL not compatable with it?

Thanks
adam

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
The mirror defroster circuit is controlled by the rear defroster switch but comes out of the rear defroster relay on a separate wire. Here is the diagram. It is a dark green/purple wire. This is the same wire that turns on the dash idiot light. So if the dash light is coming on the problem is in your doors or at the mirrors.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,005 Posts
I beleave that it would be the same haness, since it would be to expensive to make two seperate harnesses. All of the Taurus' have the remote antenna wire, even though it hasn't been offered for years. There is ONE exception though. In 2003, ford redid some of the wiring in the Taurus, thus deleating the power antenna wire. I am wondering if the heated mirror wire was delt with aswell. The funny thing is that the heated mirror is still offered as an option, which leads me to beleave that it is still there. I will be going back home after my lil' Christmas break and I will look in my 2003 Taurus wiring manual that I bought off of eBay.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts