Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me the sequence to check codes & reset the auto climate cntrl in a 99 taurus Thanks much

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Is the heat on full-blast coming out of the defroster or is it stuck on heat but you can still control fan speed and position?

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
Is the heat on full-blast coming out of the defroster or is it stuck on heat but you can still control fan speed and position?
[/b]

Please post the answer for the latter, just to confirm that I heard the blend door needs to be replaced.

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
Yeah I was getting 24, on the floor console Gen'3's is it as easy as it looked to get that door off? it looked like it was accessible from the passenger side under the dash covered by some trim...

·
Registered
10,107 Posts
I got an 888 code what does that mean?
To enter the self-test, press the OFF and FLOOR buttons simultaneously and then press the AUTO button within two seconds . The display will show a dashed line in the center of the climate control display window of the Integrated Control Panel (ICP) .
The test may run as long as 30 seconds . Record all DTCs displayed. The self-test is completed when 888 appears in the center of the climate control display window of the ICP.
To exit the self-test and retain all intermittent DTCs, press the "-" (COOLER) side of the TEMP button. The RCC module will exit the self-test and retain all intermittent DTCs.
To exit the self-test and clear all DTCs, press the FRONT DEFROST button. All RCC module DTCs will be cleared. This also recalibrates the blend door position.
Always exit the self-test before powering the system down (system turned off).

So, if you may get some numbers, and you may get the "888" which means it is done.

-chart-

·
Registered
276 Posts
To enter the self-test, press the OFF and FLOOR buttons simultaneously and then press the AUTO button within two seconds . The display will show a dashed line in the center of the climate control display window of the Integrated Control Panel (ICP) .
The test may run as long as 30 seconds . Record all DTCs displayed. The self-test is completed when 888 appears in the center of the climate control display window of the ICP.
To exit the self-test and retain all intermittent DTCs, press the "-" (COOLER) side of the TEMP button. The RCC module will exit the self-test and retain all intermittent DTCs.
To exit the self-test and clear all DTCs, press the FRONT DEFROST button. All RCC module DTCs will be cleared. This also recalibrates the blend door position.
Always exit the self-test before powering the system down (system turned off).

-chart-
Wow the digitaursables have some cool diagnostic modes.. reset and key-on for engineer mode on the 04+, now EATC self-tests? Wicked. :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've followed the diagnostic tools to check the EATC system. All came out good. I did the reset by heating the main defrost button to reset the temp control module. I could see this working. When attempting to control temperature with system running, there is no movement on the temp control module. Does this mean a faulty RCC module? It's pretty bad when no a/c in summer at 33C (92F) or just having heat in winter and having to roll the windows down to cool off (lol) even when -25F.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Reset the battery. Unplug the negative it for 15 min and reattach cable. This is common issue with these digital climate control. No reprogram fix. This I was told by an old Ford mechanic. I've done this 3X to my sable over the years and it resets the system.

·
Registered
181 Posts
...is it stuck on heat but you can still control fan speed and position?
This is an old thread but it's the same problems I'm having with my '02 SEL. It happened once, a few months ago and then seemed to fix itself in a day or two. Now, it's started again and persists over several days.

I replaced the battery today but kept the cables connected to 12V so I wouldn't loose my clock, radio stations, and transmission settings.

The attachment referred to in the thread isn't available. I copied the text about the self-test in case that's what was on the attachment.

Maybe I should disconnect the battery? The OP never mentioned if he got the problem fixed.

·
Registered
10,107 Posts
This is an old thread but it's the same problems I'm having with my '02 SEL. It happened once, a few months ago and then seemed to fix itself in a day or two. Now, it's started again and persists over several days.

I replaced the battery today but kept the cables connected to 12V so I wouldn't loose my clock, radio stations, and transmission settings.

The attachment referred to in the thread isn't available. I copied the text about the self-test in case that's what was on the attachment.

Maybe I should disconnect the battery? The OP never mentioned if he got the problem fixed.
----------------------------------------------

1. The test may run as long as 30 seconds . Record all DTCs displayed. The self-test is completed when 888 appears in the center of the climate control display window of the ICP.
2. If any DTCs appear during the self-test, post the # and I have the chart of what is wrong somewhere.
3. To exit the self-test and retain all intermittent DTCs, press the "-" (COOLER) side of the TEMP button. The RCC module will exit the self-test and retain all intermittent DTCs.
To exit the self-test and clear all DTCs, press the FRONT DEFROST button. All RCC module DTCs will be cleared. Always exit the self-test before powering the system down (system turned off). Intermittent DTCs will be deleted after 80 ignition switch ON cycles after the intermittent condition occurs. If you exit the self test this way, it will recalibrate the blend door.
-----------------
My simplified version from the book.
Easy to do, recalibrates the blend door motor.
Also tells if the system has seen a past error, or error is present now.

Having a battery go down or failed start can cause the EATC to loose it's memory. Happened to me, cold day, no start.

-chart-

·
Registered
50 Posts

-chart-
I don't have any buttons for the OFF and FLOOR. It's a 1996 Taurus wagon and it has rotary dials. Does my car even have the self-test function?

·
Registered
10,107 Posts
I don't have any buttons for the OFF and FLOOR. It's a 1996 Taurus wagon and it has rotary dials. Does my car even have the self-test function?
You have the manual climate control. That makes it easier. The blend door motor should move with the temp setting knob when the key is on. If it does not move, most likely the blend door motor is bad. If it moves but heat still on, then the blend door is broken.

The blend door motor is behind the glove box and looks like the pic but yours will likely be white. White for manual, Black for automatic climate.

-chart-

·
Registered
22,988 Posts
^ If you mean plug 'n play going from manual (rotary) to eatc (auto), no it is not. Conversion is possible with considerable work/parts. ^ No self test for manual (rotary) hvac systems.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts