Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heard some thing today on YouTube. That was curious if it’s true. They said you can do forced induction boosting up to 400 hp on the 3.0 L Vulcan. It sounds a little too good to be true to be honest but that means would ask if anyone has any kind of experience.

· Super Moderator
8,907 Posts
In theory, yes. In practice, but you will need DEEP pockets, likely over $100K. To get that kind of power out of a Vulcan would likely require 30+ psi boost. To get the engine to live at those boost levels will require custom forged (and dished) pistons, WAY better quality rods, Inconel exhaust valves to handle the extreme exhaust temperatures, bigger valves, etc, etc just to name a few issues. No clue if the block will handle 400 HP without splitting in half. An aftermarket programmable PCM and someone to tune it would also be needed.

Stock tranny can barely handle whopping 145 HP of the stock engine. Building a A4XN to handle 400 HP would be difficult to impossible. May even need custom made half shafts to handle that power level.

Unit body would also need to be seriously reinforced so it didnt turn itself into a pretzel the first time you put your foot to the floor.

I could go on and on......

· Registered
2004 Taurus SES Duratec
857 Posts
In theory, yes. In practice, but you will need DEEP pockets, likely over $100K. To get that kind of power out of a Vulcan would likely require 30+ psi boost. To get the engine to live at those boost levels will require custom forged (and dished) pistons, WAY better quality rods, Inconel exhaust valves to handle the extreme exhaust temperatures, bigger valves, etc, etc just to name a few issues. No clue if the block will handle 400 HP without splitting in half. An aftermarket programmable PCM and someone to tune it would also be needed.

Stock tranny can barely handle whopping 145 HP of the stock engine. Building a A4XN to handle 400 HP would be difficult to impossible. May even need custom made half shafts to handle that power level.

Unit body would also need to be seriously reinforced so it didnt turn itself into a pretzel the first time you put your foot to the floor.

I could go on and on......

· Registered
1998 Taurus SE Sedan 3.0L24V AX4N 91Kmi
152 Posts
They said you can do forced induction boosting up to 400 hp on the 3.0 L Vulcan. It sounds a little too good to be true to be honest but that means would ask if anyone has any kind of experience.
They say you can drain the oil & run the engine full of dry sand. They say you can put 2 wires in a mason jar of water & get Hydrogen out of it to run the car on. They say magnets on the fuel lines increase fuel economy.

THEY will say anything. And some of what THEY say is technically true. But do THEY guarantee that the engine will KEEP running for more than a few seconds?

The only THEY that's worth listening to is THEY who designed & built the engine/car. And THAT "they" published a maintenance schedule that's good, true, and sensible. Everything else is just noise.

· Registered
12,142 Posts
Even if you could (which you can't), what would be the point? For the money you'd spend you could just get something that has 400HP from the get go and is designed for it...
And having had '02 Lin Cont. They had to detune the INTECH so the front wheel drive could handle it. If you got on it hard low speed, "torque steer" would scare you. That with 275 hp in a heavier front wheel drive than Bulls of that era. Rear wheel drive can handle more as in that engine in rear wheel drive. The Vulcan is 'early 80's' design based on simple, reliable, low risk for the first Bulls. It is what it is, leave it to it's planned use. Oh that engine designed ~50 years ago. It is designed to NOT be bored out and modified, unlike the first small block ~1962 design, which has since had a shopping list of rebores, power levels and uses from the factory as well as aftermarket. The Vulcan did very well for Ford.
-chart-.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh, I’ve always wanted to build my own engine. And when I do, I was going to invest in a lot better parts in stock. And as for the tranny would have it professionally over build if not able to find a super stock half crate transmission. But I wouldn’t go to the full 400. if anything, just putting it up till like 250 would be more than enough power to get me to grin with a 4th Gen Taurus Estate Wagon.

Kimberly, there is no it’s not something most people would do. But since like the tanker. And want to get a station wagon for transporting my power wheelchair. He’ll give me something to play with. The main car is our 2018 Chevrolet Malibu. It has a 1.5 turbo stock. But honestly it breaks down so much would like a back up car. And my first car was in 1987 Taurus GL sedan in that very light sky blue with a dark blue pinstripe down the side. I always have loved the tours, and I have on almost as many as have 1st Gen Lincoln town cars.

· Registered
12,142 Posts
Oh, I’ve always wanted to build my own engine. And when I do, I was going to invest in a lot better parts in stock. And as for the tranny would have it professionally over build if not able to find a super stock half crate transmission. But I wouldn’t go to the full 400. if anything, just putting it up till like 250 would be more than enough power to get me to grin with a 4th Gen Taurus Estate Wagon.

Kimberly, there is no it’s not something most people would do. But since like the tanker. And want to get a station wagon for transporting my power wheelchair. He’ll give me something to play with. The main car is our 2018 Chevrolet Malibu. It has a 1.5 turbo stock. But honestly it breaks down so much would like a back up car. And my first car was in 1987 Taurus GL sedan in that very light sky blue with a dark blue pinstripe down the side. I always have loved the tours, and I have on almost as many as have 1st Gen Lincoln town cars.
"Chevrolet Malibu. It has a 1.5 turbo stock"
I rented a Milibu '22 last Summer. Pic is about the only thing I liked. 1.5L with CV tran, turbo, direct injection. Fob huge and heavier than my phone so I had to keep my phone in one pocket to balance that fob in the other. Worst thing in driving is the CV in traffic. "Herkey-Jerkey" if you let off the pedal and go back. Wife and I are old, she has significant issue getting out of the bucket seat. Outside too high. Really bad: tire noise depending on the pavement, on very smooth road, noise can be heard over the climate blower on MAX. Drove 270 miles in 4 days. Anyway, when back home, out of the plane and into the Buick Lucerne, it felt like a real car. It is an "old people car" and we are "Old People".
Aside from that, I have '03 Taurus, '04 Sable wagon, '05 Taurus, in my herd. My Bulls, 135K-163K miles.
Good luck with your project.
-chart-

Attachments

· Registered
2004 Taurus SES Duratec
857 Posts
"Chevrolet Malibu. It has a 1.5 turbo stock"
I rented a Milibu '22 last Summer. Pic is about the only thing I liked. 1.5L with CV tran, turbo, direct injection. Fob huge and heavier than my phone so I had to keep my phone in one pocket to balance that fob in the other. Worst thing in driving is the CV in traffic. "Herkey-Jerkey" if you let off the pedal and go back. Wife and I are old, she has significant issue getting out of the bucket seat. Outside too high. Really bad: tire noise depending on the pavement, on very smooth road, noise can be heard over the climate blower on MAX. Drove 270 miles in 4 days. Anyway, when back home, out of the plane and into the Buick Lucerne, it felt like a real car. It is an "old people car" and we are "Old People".
Aside from that, I have '03 Taurus, '04 Sable wagon, '05 Taurus, in my herd. My Bulls, 135K-163K miles.
Good luck with your project.
-chart-
chart - what do you think about the Taurus X?

· Registered
2,108 Posts
Sure you could do it? first you would gut the entire uniibody pan off the bottom of the car. Then get built a custom tube frame like a late model stock car. put a slung rear axle on it. Might as well be a quick change just to be cool. Maybe some franklin hubs up front to keep the look. once you navigate those waters, they you can stick your Vulcan in it and wait for it to blow up. then what?, just stick a small block v8 into it and you should be good to go.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts