Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need a little help, overheated 99 3.0 vulcan & blew a head gasket, heads checked out OK, can someone take me step X step through the process of timing the valves? Do I follow the firing order with each piston @ TDC and torque em down when both valves are closed or put back together w/o TDC?
Some people state that they take em off and slap em back on, to me that don't sound right(to easy).
Thanks

·
Registered
10,561 Posts
Need a little help, overheated 99 3.0 vulcan & blew a head gasket, heads checked out OK, can someone take me step X step through the process of timing the valves? Do I follow the firing order with each piston @ TDC and torque em down when both valves are closed or put back together w/o TDC?
Some people state that they take em off and slap em back on, to me that don't sound right(to easy).
Thanks
Timing all done with timing chain and cam. Only thing is this. Your vaves will be a tick deeper due to grinding and the head a tick different if was faced.

Anyway this will make the hydraulic lifters have to ajdust. Bolting it together may require a few turns of the engine to get the lifters to bleed down.

If the engine is turned over while the heads are off, the lifters may pump up and need some time to bleed down. You could have a few valves holding open until the lifters bleed down. No harm. Just may confuse.

When started the liftes may click for a few minutes until they all pump up.

-chart-

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Make sure if you take the pushrods out that you get a cardboard cutout and place them in that so you don't get them out of order. Like This.....

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah 00greenlx did that also put rockers in a numbered plastic bowl. Question - I went out and got gaskets and bolts for the car and the new head bolts are about a inch shorter than the old ones, I assume that must be alright or should I find some 5" bolts?
Ron

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
The head bolts are stretched out when they are installed, you have the correct length. This is why you cannot reuse the old head bolts ;)

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
The head bolts are stretched out when they are installed, you have the correct length. This is why you cannot reuse the old head bolts ;)
C&P from his other thread:

JW657 said:
Went and got gaskets and head bolts this evening, the new bolts are 1" shorter than the ones I took out, will that be problem or do I find some 5" bolts?

Ron
They increased the bolt length in 99. I would get bolts the same length. You probably have bolts for 98 and earlier.

** said:
1999-2001
The block was changed again to a XF1E-DD casting that had one major difference: the threads in the deck were slightly recessed and the head bolts were an inch longer so they extended further down into the block. Using the longer bolts helped minimize bore distortion which improved ring sealing and reduced oil consumption. Less oil consumption meant less oil contamination, so the catalytic converter lasted longer, and that's what really mattered to Ford, because it helped them comply with the extended emissions warranty required by the EPA.
** Rebuilding The Ford 3.0L V6: Engine Builder
Not saying you're wrong, but it might be the wrong set.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Question.... Why ask the same question in multiple threads? lol, I'm glad someone chimed in but the head bolts are designed to stretch, so unless you get the specs from Ford I wouldn't trust anyone, including me.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well thanks for being so observant, sometimes it take the Engine & Drivetrain a little longer to reply not as many people in there, any who got heads back on everything tightened down a success now I can flush the rad and change coolant.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts