Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the headlights that give the blueish tint on some of the highend cars? I got a pair of xeon headlights from the previous car and they didn't seem to have a blueish light? And I know the hyperwhites don't cause I've used them too. So what the hell are they?

S

·
0 Posts
you could try the ones labeled "Cool Blue Halogen"

blue and yellow tinted headlights are illegal in california

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright thanks, I'll see what I can find. Oh well, I'm not planning on going to California any time in the future let alone driving there.

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
they are HID or high intensity discharge lights...

the corny lookin blue ones are the ones ricers run around with... they are probably dimmer than regular lights ;)

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
The bluish/purple lights on high end cars (MB, Lexus, BMW, etc) are HID. High Intensity Discharge.

They use a special bulb that is not compatible with a standard halogen system. The bulb requires a ballast to supply high voltage to the bulb. An arc of electricity jumps a gap in a xenon gas filled tube. The result is a much brighter, whiter light that operates cooler and uses less electricity consumption to operate.

The xenon aftermarket replacement bulbs are essentially a halogen bulb with a xenon/krypton gas mix..... and many also use a tint on the glass to cancel out the yellow light waves. This actually reduces the amount of light output.

The best aftermarket halogen bulb is the Sylvania SilverStar (my opinion, but shared by many).

The "cool blues", hyperwhites, etc are trash. High wattage bulbs will only damage your wiring harness and bulb sockets... possibly even the headlight housing.

If you want "blueish" lights for aesthetic reason, then by all means.... if you are looking for better light output, get a heavy duty headlight harness and Sylvania SilverStars.

·
Registered
460 Posts
If you want some really high quality lights that will kind of give you that purpley tint, go to PIAA.com and check out the new bulbs they just came out with. They are mild purpley color on the low beams, but a blinding white on the highs. I have them and I think they are the greatest lights ever made. A little more expensive than silverstars, but you get what you pay for. Also, they have a lifetime waranty (as does anything PIAA) so if you call them and say your bulb burned out, they'll ship you a new one no questions asked. PIAA is such a great company :wub:

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
I put silverstars in and love them. They are so much brighter and whiter than the stock Ford lights. I didn't however, put in a heavy duty harness. What do I need to do to install that, and what harness should I use? Also, how much are the harnesses?

JR

·
Premium Supporter
1,162 Posts
This has been discussed MANY many MANY times. Do a search for sylvania on here and I'm sure you'll come up with a lot of results. Also do a search for "harness" or "sylvania harness" or something because they are usually discussed in the same topic.

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
Originally posted by godspunk32@May 28 2004, 06:30 AM
I put silverstars in and love them. They are so much brighter and whiter than the stock Ford lights. I didn't however, put in a heavy duty harness. What do I need to do to install that, and what harness should I use? Also, how much are the harnesses?

JR
Yeah... that's a dead horse, but to answer your question,

Installation is simple, do a search for instructions.... I think I did a write up a while back in the electrical forum

www.suvlights.com sells a good harness. costs about $55.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Even if the cool blues and hyperwhite bulbs are made by Sylvania, they're still crap? I'm pretty satisfied with my stock lights since I never do any night driving and even if I do, I drive in pretty well lit areas.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Originally posted by Qwertz9586@May 28 2004, 11:33 PM
Even if the cool blues and hyperwhite bulbs are made by Sylvania, they're still crap? I'm pretty satisfied with my stock lights since I never do any night driving and even if I do, I drive in pretty well lit areas.
I wouldn't say they're crap, more like they are equivelent to the OEM bulbs, nothing specail, nothing better. the silverstars on the other hand are much better than the stock bulbs. but do yourself a favor, install a high wattage wiring harness, even if you don't plan on using high wattage bulbs. each wire has a resistance associated with it, its a function of the material used in the conductor (copper wires usually) and it varies with the length of the wire, and inversely with the diamter of the wire. so what's that mean? the tiny stock wires aren't able to give your headlights a full 14.4V when they are turned on. putting on a high wattage harness will make even the stock bulbs look brighter and perform better. as for where to get one, I have heard that people have even been able to melt the high wattage harnesses with 80/100W bulbs, so I'm going to make my own with 12 awg wire, no way I'll melt that. its a project in progress, I have some parts of it done, but the rest is awaiting the return of my car. I'll be sure to do a write up on what I end up coming up with when I'm done.
oh, and also make sure you have clean lenses on your headlights, they can get foggy over time, this causes both reduced light output, and more of a crappy yellow look to the light. if your lights are foggy, there are some products out there that can clean them up fairly well, or look to ebay for a decent price on replacements

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
thought i would chime in here :)

yes the absolute best headlight setup you can get is a hid retrofit ... and YES i did spend close to 1000 dollars on my setup when i had the SHO ..

but i wanted the best of the best ....... a hid retrofit can be had for much less if different projectors were used. If anyone wants to get ideas on pricing .. contact me .. i can find great deals on components and can get you in touch with my friend who does the retros

that being said

i did get rid of my SHO and got a 2004 Neon SXT and while i await my hid retrofit (yes i am doing one .. cant live with halogen) ... i popped in a set of silverstars and must say they are definetly an improvement over standard halogen. I also use the 9007 bulb.

I cant wait till i get hids again :( ... its like i cant see at night lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts