Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok after searching through many old post, ive gotten a mixed reaction. Im looking to replace my headlight housing on my gen 4, should i go with new ones from ford, or take a chance on a aftermarket set? Any aftermarket ones better than others? also anybody have an idea on price from the dealer?
thanks
matt

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
Myself I'd go to the dealer for headlamp replacements. Aftermarket would probably be fine, but I'd rather go with what I know works. Aftermarket probably is just as good, I haven't heard of anyone complain about any kind of aftermarket headlamp assemblies, but myself I'd go dealer. As for price, I have no idea.

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
QUOTE (the_intimidator_02 @ Mar 25 2009, 05:12 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=712102
Myself I'd go to the dealer for headlamp replacements. .... As for price, I have no idea.[/b]
Hmmm, FastPartsNetwork has Gen4 Ford headlamps for $161 plus S&H.

I'd be able to buy 2 to 4 eBay Chinese specials for that. As a charter member of Team Cheap, I'd go the eBay route.

Though I gotta admit, my local Ford dealership, Framingham Ford, seems to have very good prices for bits and pieces (e.g., Ford gold coolant, $16 and change... less than Autozone Peak Gold).

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Watch eBay for them. I got 2 brand new OEM housings off of eBay for the same price as 1 from a dealership. Then put some XPEL Plastic overlays on them so I don't have to worry about UV failure ever again.

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
On rockauto.com they're $44.79 or $56.79 or $81.79 each. I guess you can pick the quality you need depending on how much longer you're planning on keeping the car.

·
Premium Member
2003 Ford taurus Centennial Edition
1,404 Posts
QUOTE (Bull Geek @ Mar 25 2009, 02:05 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=712176
Watch eBay for them. I got 2 brand new OEM housings off of eBay for the same price as 1 from a dealership. Then put some XPEL Plastic overlays on them so I don't have to worry about UV failure ever again.[/b]
What are those overlays?...I've never heard of them...explain please.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
XPEL makes these plastic overlays using some 3M material that has an adhesive backing. You use a heat gun, rubbing alcohol and H20 to apply them to your lenses. If you have a headlight you are trying to protect from UV deterioration, rock chips, etc this overlay does that. Here's some more info about the product: https://www.xpel.com/products/headlight.asp

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I'm really curious about the headlights Rockauto sells for They do have Ford OEM part#s, Or they could be Depo cheapos. I've had great service with Rockauto so assuming they're Ford lights.

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
If you do lots of night driving, go for the OEM Ford parts. Some of the aftermarket housings show up with interesting beam patterns, and since they don't adjust left-to-right, if they're off, you're stuck.

I've also noticed some of the aftermarket housings don't quite fit and stick out from the fenders a little tiny bit. It's mostly not noticeable unless you're looking for it, but the OEM ones fit flush.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts