Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi out there, I'm new to the club, I've seen some pretty interesting posts. Here is one I haven't seen yet.

I took my 97 LX to the car wash yesterday, then went home and parked it. Neighbour comes over to tell me my lights are on, no problem I say they go off by themselves, no he says they've been on for a while. I go out and low and behold my headlights are on, and I can't turn them off! finally I have to disconnect the battery. So it sits over night when I hook up the battery this morning the lights come back on but the car won't start? Turns over but very slugish.

Anybody got any ideas? :(

Thanks in advance.

fb

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Since you have a 97 LX, I'm assuming you have automatic lights (considering you said your lights turn off automatically, I'll just assume I'm correct, too :) ). Anyway, on your headlight switch panel, you have three dials:

One rotates to the right and left, and this normally controls the headlights themselves.
Next, to the right, is a rolling gauge that goes up and down. This should control the intensity of the interior lights.
Lastly, on the far right, is another gauge similar to the interior light gauge. This is the automatic light switch; moving it up and down controls how long the lights stay on after the car is turned off, and switching it off turns off the automatic feature altogether. (Meaning you'll have to turn your lights on whenever)

First, I'd like you to switch off the automatic lights; the switch may have become messed up, leaving the lights on at any time regardless of light input or engine status. If you're able to turn your lights on and off, then I would consider the switch faulty and look into either repairing it or replacing it. If that's not the problem, then we can go from there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for responding guys.

First, they are day time running lights.

Second, I tried to turn off the automatic ligth switch but the lights stay on.

With the automatic light switch in the off postion, the day lights are on. If I rotate the manual light switch to the on positon, then the night time running lights come on.

High beams still work OK.

I spoke to one of the local shops and they suggested the day time module may be stuck, is there such a module?

fb

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Odd, I didn't know that there was a DRL system available on Tauruses. I have the Autolamp system, where the car will turn on the lights when a certain light threshold is reached, but I don't have the DRL system.

But, the good news is that V8SHO has an article posted about the DRL system, including troubleshooting, subtracting the DRL system, or even adding the DRL system (I'll be damned.) It's available here, and I hope it helps. One suggestion on the site for disabling the system is to simply pull the fuse on it. This may help in troubleshooting. Sadly, the site does show a diagram of the DRL module, but not the location. If you're scared that the DRL system on the SHO and reg's are different, I wouldn't be, most of the SHO is identical to reg's.

More:

This thread details a problem identical to yours, with a confident post later that says "your module is bad, replace it or pull the fuse."

This site details how to remove DRL systems from many different brands of vehicles, including Ford. If you're wishing to keep your DRL system, they detail where the module is, which would help you replace it if necessary.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Mr. B.

Thanks for those links.

BTW, I'm in Canada, all cars here have the DRL system as a standard safety feature.

fb

P.S. This site is great!

·
Registered
695 Posts
I had similar issues with my SHO. I changed the DRL module and it fixed it. The DRL module is underneath the battery tray. You've got to remove the splash guard underneath the nose of the car to get to it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the help.

For now I pulled the fuse for the DRL module and everything else is working fine.

This will buy me some time until I can bring myself to spend $117.28 (according to the dealer) for a new DRL module.

I'm going to look around at some wreckers to see if I can get one cheaper.

Thanks again for all the advice. :banana:

fb

·
Registered
600 Posts
Hey Mr. B.

Thanks for those links.

BTW, I'm in Canada, all cars here have the DRL system as a standard safety feature.

fb

P.S. This site is great!
[/b]
i hope you dont watch "family guy"
i no its off the topic but

·
Registered
121 Posts
Just FYI, I got a DRL module from a wrecker for $50.00 + GST/PST, mine was a flickering problem. Oh, and welcome aboard.

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>
Hey Mr. B.

Thanks for those links.

fb

P.S. This site is great!
[/b]
i hope you dont watch "family guy"
i no its off the topic but
[/b][/quote]

wow.. 3+ year thread revive for that? :blink:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had this problem happen with my 96 several years ago. I pulled the fuse and never looked back... (I'll be damned if I'm gonna pay even $50 for such a thing)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi there!
My 97 Taurus LX developped that problem (Headlights stuck on) yesterday after performing some repairs w/battery disconnected.
I followed advice of removing the fuse, and it works. However, I measured residual drain on the battery with key out/ everything off, and it is in the order of 300 mA, which I find rather high and might strain my battery on the long term. Is there something abnormal here?

P.O.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I had this problem with my Gen 2 and it is definately a ****** DRL module... Also, I have a weird thing with my interior instrument nitetime lights... I'll get in my car, start it up and I'll turn on the headlights... Well sometimes there is like a 5-10 second lag between when I flip the switch and when the lights on the instruments/radio come on.... The headlights/parking lights come on instantaneously but there is a lag with the inside lights... Sometimes they go on in increments too.. Like the gauge cluster will come on right away, then 2 seconds later the radio lights come on and the last thing is always the lights on the console gear shift... So it's a bit annoying at night when I want to drive off immediately but I have to wait for the light to come on the gear shift so I don't accidently shift into neutral/go front or back when i want to do the opposite! Anyone else have this on their Gen 3?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hey concerning Your question about the delay in the interior lights... YES I have the same problem. I noticed your in ontario. I'm in Saskatchewan and the problem seems to have only shown up in the winter when the temp dips. I have a 99 Wagon SE with the vulcan and most nights the lights (interior and exterior) come right on. Some nights though i have to wait 2-3 seconds however i have a column shift, so concerning the shift lights, it's no problem

Do not worry Your not alone and I have been led to believe that the delay is actually part of the car... Have a look at the sales brochure i read something like that

·
Registered
203 Posts
I had this problem with my Gen 2 and it is definately a ****** DRL module... Also, I have a weird thing with my interior instrument nitetime lights... I'll get in my car, start it up and I'll turn on the headlights... Well sometimes there is like a 5-10 second lag between when I flip the switch and when the lights on the instruments/radio come on.... The headlights/parking lights come on instantaneously but there is a lag with the inside lights... Sometimes they go on in increments too.. Like the gauge cluster will come on right away, then 2 seconds later the radio lights come on and the last thing is always the lights on the console gear shift... So it's a bit annoying at night when I want to drive off immediately but I have to wait for the light to come on the gear shift so I don't accidently shift into neutral/go front or back when i want to do the opposite! Anyone else have this on their Gen 3?
I have that exact same problem on the 99 Sable too. I don't have any DRL as far as I know. I live in the US.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am having the same problem on my 1999 FORD Taurus.Which fuse controlls the DRL module? If I remove this fuse what else does it controll?
THANKS TO ANYONE THAT CAN HELP,WILLIAM

1 - 18 of 18 Posts