Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, a little while back, I wrote a question about my headlights dimming when I hit the brakes. I tested the battery and checked the cables and everything was good. I decided to get a little more in depth with a test. I shut off the AC and tried it and no dimming. Then I would turn on the AC and the lights would dim. Could this mean a problem with the AC? Or the alternator?

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Did you check the wiring for resistance? If you have a voltmeter check the beginning and ends of a circuit with the meter set on millivolts and the power on. The higher the millivolt reading the higher the voltage drop. Your wires are too small to carry the load.

Not really a problem but rather a feature of a cheap manufacturer.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I have a momentary dimming of my head lights when I turn to "vent" with the temp in the heat range. been so for a while

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Originally posted by sundarpn@Jan 26 2004, 01:15 PM
I have a momentary dimming of my head lights when I turn to "vent" with the temp in the heat range. been so for a while
Are you sure it's on "vent"? Our cars run the A/C whenever the defrost or auto climate control is on. Even if you are running full heat, the A/C will kick on to dry out the air, so it defogs the windows better. When the A/C clutch kicks on, even with an OK electrical system, the lights will dim momentarily. I'll have to set my climate control to "vent" and see if my A/C comes on...

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
actually its not vent.. but the position that says vent& leg... yes the compressor does kick in.

i said vent to save some typing

1 - 6 of 6 Posts