Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some time ago some one posted like a 10 step how to on how to clean up your headlights, it involved some kind of sanding/polishing of the lens etc. Does any one have that list, my lighjts look pitifull and I want to clean them up. Also is there a certain type of headlight bulb I should put into it since the lights seem so dull or not bright??
 

·
Premium Supporter
Joined
·
1,162 Posts
You don't even need to sand. Get some plastic polish and RUB. Some tooth paste also should help if you buff it with it. Sanding if your lights are REALLY bad with about 1000 grit sand paper. Maybe even 600 depending on how bad they are.

Get some Sylvania Silverstars. That's what I have in my car and they are BRIGHT.

Attached is a picture of my Sylvania Silverstars on a gen 4 Taurus.
 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,401 Posts
Originally posted by green@Jan 8 2004, 10:43 PM
in the end they will never be as clear as new lenses.
Sure you can


There are several methods... there is the wetsanding method, and there are products for it. I have heard of using a chrome polish, but never seen any results. Toothpaste doesn't work well at all IMO. Novus is the most popular product for cleaning lenses. As for wet sanding start with a fine grit, work to a more coarse grit if needed. Work your way back down to a fine grit then polish it and seal it up with some wax. I started on my wife's at 320 grit
worked down to 1500, then using a rubbing and polishing compound and sealed it up with some wax (actually I used a QD with wax in it). To keep them from getting that way to begin with, use Plexus, it's a plastic polish/cleaner, it's incredible stuff


Here is a lousy low res digicam shot of my wife's when I did them:
 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
17,415 Posts
Didn't Qwertz make a tutorial on how to clean up your headlights?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,458 Posts
My headlights were pretty crusty. I thought for sure I would need to sand them, so I went out and got some 1000, 1200 and 1500 grit sandpaper at the hardware store. Then I saw a bottle of Sunnyside Plastic Cleaner sitting on the shelf before I got to the register. So I put the sandpaper back and bought the Plastic Cleaner (it was an ACE hardware store. The bottle is a trigger-type spray bottle.) I saturated the headlights with the product, and wiped them off with a soft cotton cloth (paper towels will SCRATCH plastic!) They looked a little better. Then I used Rain-X on them, and voila! they look great! I still might get new lenses eventually, but I was really amazed at how much an improvement this was, considering it took only 5 minutes. Something to think about before you start sanding plastic (Ouch! It hurts just to say it!) or shell out $100+ for new lenses.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,401 Posts
Originally posted by SixFoFalcon@Jan 11 2004, 12:28 PM
My headlights were pretty crusty. I thought for sure I would need to sand them, so I went out and got some 1000, 1200 and 1500 grit sandpaper at the hardware store. Then I saw a bottle of Sunnyside Plastic Cleaner sitting on the shelf before I got to the register. So I put the sandpaper back and bought the Plastic Cleaner (it was an ACE hardware store. The bottle is a trigger-type spray bottle.) I saturated the headlights with the product, and wiped them off with a soft cotton cloth (paper towels will SCRATCH plastic!) They looked a little better. Then I used Rain-X on them, and voila! they look great! I still might get new lenses eventually, but I was really amazed at how much an improvement this was, considering it took only 5 minutes. Something to think about before you start sanding plastic (Ouch! It hurts just to say it!) or shell out $100+ for new lenses.
Be careful not to get it on your paint


You think wetsanding plastic gives you heebie jeebies, try wet sanding paint
I still hate doing it, but sometimes you have too.

Nick: I don't recall Qwertz writing one, but he may have. I gave a brief description up there on how to.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,458 Posts
This plastic cleaner seems to be pretty tame. I still wouldn't let it sit on the paint for any length of time, though (I wiped up the drip-off immediately.) IMO, the Rain-X did more for the headlights than the plastic cleaner, but the combination was pretty amazing. I would say it is a good first step, since it is so easy, and both of these products should be in your automotive arsenal anyway.

Please, n2_space, using those words is like scratching your fingernails on a chalkboard!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,401 Posts
Originally posted by SixFoFalcon@Jan 11 2004, 01:03 PM
This plastic cleaner seems to be pretty tame. I still wouldn't let it sit on the paint for any length of time, though (I wiped up the drip-off immediately.) IMO, the Rain-X did more for the headlights than the plastic cleaner, but the combination was pretty amazing. I would say it is a good first step, since it is so easy, and both of these products should be in your automotive arsenal anyway.

Please, n2_space, using those words is like scratching your fingernails on a chalkboard!


How long ago did you do it? Using Rain-x is kind of like waxing them, it kinda cleans them and protects, but doesn't get rid of the root problem. Rain-x is not abrasive, so it's not really doing anything. Think of it like this, your car is dirty, pour some water on it... looks cleaner right? Let it dry.... The Rain-x is in front of the problem and just stays there a while....
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,458 Posts
Originally posted by n2_space+Jan 11 2004, 01:12 PM-->QUOTE (n2_space @ Jan 11 2004, 01:12 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-SixFoFalcon
@Jan 11 2004, 01:03 PM
This plastic cleaner seems to be pretty tame.  I still wouldn't let it sit on the paint for any length of time, though (I wiped up the drip-off immediately.)  IMO, the Rain-X did more for the headlights than the plastic cleaner, but the combination was pretty amazing.  I would say it is a good first step, since it is so easy, and both of these products should be in your automotive arsenal anyway. 

Please, n2_space, using those words is like scratching your fingernails on a chalkboard! 


How long ago did you do it? Using Rain-x is kind of like waxing them, it kinda cleans them and protects, but doesn't get rid of the root problem. Rain-x is not abrasive, so it's not really doing anything. Think of it like this, your car is dirty, pour some water on it... looks cleaner right? Let it dry.... The Rain-x is in front of the problem and just stays there a while.... [/b]
I did this about 4 months ago. I know the Rain-X didn't remove the oxidized plastic. I'm just saying it looks ten times better.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
17,415 Posts
OOps didnt look up
sorry bout that n2_space.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,401 Posts
Originally posted by SixFoFalcon+Jan 11 2004, 02:04 PM-->QUOTE (SixFoFalcon @ Jan 11 2004, 02:04 PM)
Originally posted by [email protected] 11 2004, 01:12 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-SixFoFalcon
@Jan 11 2004, 01:03 PM
This plastic cleaner seems to be pretty tame.  I still wouldn't let it sit on the paint for any length of time, though (I wiped up the drip-off immediately.)  IMO, the Rain-X did more for the headlights than the plastic cleaner, but the combination was pretty amazing.  I would say it is a good first step, since it is so easy, and both of these products should be in your automotive arsenal anyway. 

Please, n2_space, using those words is like scratching your fingernails on a chalkboard! 



How long ago did you do it? Using Rain-x is kind of like waxing them, it kinda cleans them and protects, but doesn't get rid of the root problem. Rain-x is not abrasive, so it's not really doing anything. Think of it like this, your car is dirty, pour some water on it... looks cleaner right? Let it dry.... The Rain-x is in front of the problem and just stays there a while....
I did this about 4 months ago. I know the Rain-X didn't remove the oxidized plastic. I'm just saying it looks ten times better. [/b]
Yep, I know


QUOTE
OOps didnt look up  sorry bout that n2_space.[/b]
No problem
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top