Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
'99 SE. This time of year I'll forget my headlights a couple of times during the daylight hours and my battery will be dead next time out.

Shouldn't they shutoff automatically after a minute or 2?

Or at least a ringing alarm/alert when I shut the car off?

Seems like every car I've owned in the last 15 years did. '94 Camry did. '97 S10 did.

·
Registered
203 Posts
When you open your door you should hear a fast 'dinging' telling you the lights are on. If it's not doing that, your door switch may be bad (very common). Usually WD-40 sprayed incessantly in the latch should get the door switch working again.

Also if you're in the car for about a minute after you turn the car off with the lights on, the car will ding at you to remind you that you're sitting in the car with the lights on, but it quickly stops.

I don't think the headlights will automatically turn themselves off. I know some interior lights will after about 40 minutes, but only the auto-headlights will turn themselves off if equipped, and then only if they're not manually turned on.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. It wil ding but only after 20-30 seconds. Usually I'm outta the car and gone by then.

Shouldn't it ding immediately when I open the door with the ignition off and the lights on? Why the 30 sec delay?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I'll give it a try in the morning. 15 degrees and snowing now.

Is that the same switch that actuates interior light? It always come on.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Thanks, I'll give it a try in the morning. 15 degrees and snowing now.

Is that the same switch that actuates interior light? It always come on.
Yes. Do you mean it works properly? If so, you may have another issue if you don't get a dinging. If you mean it's always on even with the door shut, then it's the WD-40 thing.

·
Registered
23,349 Posts
If wd-40 solves the prob. inside the door end latches, good idea to respray with white lithium grease for a more lasting cure.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Interior lights work as they should.

Just as a side note - some time ago i disabled the auto door lock action by doing an ignition switch turn, acc pedal combo I picked up from somebody. Forget now exactly the sequence. Wonder if that may have goofed up the circuitry or computer module? I could set it back to default to see if anything changes...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I'm not having any luck locating the door switch. Must be hidden behind a shroud or hinge. It is cold as hell out and haven't spent a lot of time looking. Anybody point me where to look?

Correction: switch on the driver's side only works intermittently. Therefore, the problem. Sometimes the interior light comes on, sometimes not. But I still need to find the switch to give it a WD40 bath. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
the switch is inside of the latching mechanism

·
Registered
203 Posts
I'm not having any luck locating the door switch. Must be hidden behind a shroud or hinge. It is cold as hell out and haven't spent a lot of time looking. Anybody point me where to look?

Correction: switch on the driver's side only works intermittently. Therefore, the problem. Sometimes the interior light comes on, sometimes not. But I still need to find the switch to give it a WD40 bath. Thanks.
Yes, like sable23 said, the switch is part of the door latch. If you open your door, spray in a lot of wd-40 into that latch, and then open and close the door a bunch of times.

With any luck, the wd-40 will fix your problem.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks, I've been doing it today. But temp only got above freezing for awhile for the 1st time in a couple of weeks. May stick a hairdryer in there, warm it up and soak it again.
This is the right place??

1 - 13 of 13 Posts