Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what is the safest headlight wattage without causing any damage to the wires? If I upgrade to a silverstar or xtra vision without installing a harness, I dont want to end up melting any wires.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
I was wondering what is the safest headlight wattage without causing any damage to the wires? If I upgrade to a silverstar or xtra vision without installing a harness, I dont want to end up melting any wires.
i have silverstar in my crown vic for the last 4 yrs with no problems. i didnt change anything when i installed them.

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
Silverstars are safe to use, same goes for the Xtra vision, they're only 55/65W (low/high beam). The step above that 80/100W you will require a harness to run that.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Either way, you should run a harness, the regular ones do not get full brightness without a harness. Don't waste your time or money with the Silverstars, get the Xtravision. The Xtravision is brighter, produces less glare, lasts longer, and costs less. You get more light per watt too.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you everyone. I can afford to get a headlight harness but im not confident in my ability to install it correctly so im not going to bother. I bought some regular GE nighthawks but the packaging doesnt say how many watts the bulbs are. Does anyone know?

·
Registered
10,952 Posts
Lamps

Silverstar has a coating to make it look a different color.

xtravision is brighter by ~30% and I have measured it in a '03 Sable with a light meter. They have a shorter life, and that is why they get more light with the same amps. (watts)

As for me here is some history.
3 Ford products 81K 96K 110K.

I replaced all with xtravision and polished the lenses.

The bulbs I took out were all original. Date on them confirms OE. And this the 110K one has had the atuolamps stay on day and night for couple of years at least. This is a common failure of the light sensor. I just let them burn, and I do not forget to turn them on or off.

So if OE bulbs can last at least 100K, then what ever loss of life the brighter bulbs have is worth it to me.

By actual measure with a light meter, polishing the lenses on my '03 Sable gave me a good 30% more light. They were not yellow, or frosted, just a bit dull. The xtravision bulbs gave a +30% on top of the polish increase.

Just my take.

The difference on the road is quite obvious.

-chart-

1 - 8 of 8 Posts