Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone give me any hints on replacement? My manual just says to use a thin tool to remove the switch. The car is 6 hours away from me, so I can't see what size tool to use. The knob has become very loose and feels like it's going to fall off.

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Get a thin flat head screw driver, wrap it in a napkin and shimmy it in the slot right around the middle of the switch on the bezel (that meets the dash), then shimmy the thing out.

Check this auction you can see the back side where the metal clip is: 2002 TAURUS HEADLIGHT SWITCH | eBay

It's not under much of any tension.

I have a good switch from a Mercury Sable w/autolamp and fogs, but will work in any 00-05 Sable. $20 shipped Priority mail and it's yours. I pulled it from a car that had 100k. Shoot me a PM or email me nick (nine) (eight) (six) @ g(mail).com (switch the words to numbers).

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
just the plastic nob seems loose or the switch is starting to come apart???
Just the knob. When you turn the lights on, it feels that the knob is going to come off in your hands.

Get a thin flat head screw driver, wrap it in a napkin and shimmy it in the slot right around the middle of the switch on the bezel (that meets the dash), then shimmy the thing out.

Check this auction you can see the back side where the metal clip is: 2002 TAURUS HEADLIGHT SWITCH | eBay

It's not under much of any tension.

I have a good switch from a Mercury Sable w/autolamp and fogs, but will work in any 00-05 Sable. $20 shipped Priority mail and it's yours. I pulled it from a car that had 100k. Shoot me a PM or email me nick (nine) (eight) (six) @ g(mail).com (switch the words to numbers).
I will keep this in mind. We are planning on hitting a salvage yard or two this weekend when he come home.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts

·
Premium Member
2003 Ford taurus Centennial Edition
1,405 Posts
OR...the whole headlight unit should pop out with the bezel (just a slight pull should disengage the pins) then you can just push the pins on the switch and it will come out of the bezel.

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
I remember I had to pull out the knob, flip it 180 degrees, reinsert, turn the knob and remove the whole switch assembly. Maybe I got mixed up between Taurus and F150.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
hi there..Just remove the steering column plastic covers and you should be fine. You can take the steering wheel off if you want but you dont have to. Just move the wheel around to get access to the 2 screws holding it in place. From what I remember its 2 screws and a plug holding it in. Just be careful when taking it out... kinda stuck in there so it might break if you pull on it to hard.
You don't need to do any of that as was stated above...it pops out of the dash w/o issue.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts