Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just measure by headlight plugs, and I have about a .75V loss. How much of a difference will a headlight relay make?
Also, does anyone know how to make the low beams stay on when i turn on the high beams?

Btw, I already have silverstars, please dont turn this into a discussion about them.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
With a headlight relay setup there will be very little voltage loss. Maybe .2V. I do not believe it is wise to run both lighting elements at the same time for long. You still only have one ground terminal and wire.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know what the relays do, what im asking is will the $60 be worth the .55V increase, in brightness, if i even notice the difference.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
That's really a subjective question. Seeing as we do not know the specifics of how you tested your voltage drop. Did you test it with the car running and the lights on? High beams too? What was the battery voltage at the time you measured your headlight plug voltage?

.55V is a ~5% drop. This is directly proportional to light output.

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
running both filaments in dual filament bulbs is not safe. The heat generated will cause the bulb to overheat, and possibly explode.

13.45/14 = 96% so you are losing ~4% like SHOZ123 stated.

you may not notice much of a difference. When I measured my wiring, I had the car off and I noticed 0.9 - 1.2 volt difference. The battery measured ~12.3V. I had a 10% loss. The wiring harness improved my lighting imensely.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts