Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay. i posted this once before...but i think i may have been wrong about the problem. so here we go:

my daytime running lights started flickering one night...not off and on, but bright and dim really fast. now they're permanently dim. also, the bright light indicator on the dashboard quit working when the running lamps went out. i don't know if its conencted, but the problem started the same night.

the bright lights on the outside of the car work, but the indicator inside doesn't. also, i adjusted the headlights recently because they were really dim, but it didn't help. i go down the highway with my brights on and no one else notices.

could it be bulbs? i had a brake light go out recently and when i checked the bulb, both filaments were fine, but there were three little bumps on the bottom inside of the bulb, right above the connector. two of the little bumps were black, but the rest of the bulb was fine. even the tail light worked fine, just no brake light.

my question is could the headlights be doing the same thing?

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
Sounds like a short or a bad ground. Not to hijack your thread, but I have a 97 GL, and my lenses on my lights are starting to turn yellow from the outside. Whats a good product to clean this up with?

Thanks

Adam

·
Registered
142 Posts
I cant recall the name of the product, however, if someone recomends using brake fluid, dont do it. I will horribly haze your lenses.
~~Maverick~~

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
The DRL module converts 12V DC into a square wave output. Meaning it takes the constant 12V and chops it up into pulses to give you less voltage at the headlights and consequently a dimmer light. Your module is bad.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
To clean your headlight lenses, use Novus. Do a google search for "Novus headlight" and you should be able to find it. IIRC, it's about 20 bucks for the three bottles, but it works exceptionally well.

JR

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
okay. where's the DRL Module located, approximately how much to replace it, and what are silverstars? I wanna say silverstars are a halogen type headlight...what, twenty bucks a pop?

correct me if i'm wrong, please. thanks.

also, would that have anything to do with the bright light indicator on the dash not working?

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
The DRL module is located behind and below the left headlight. I do not know the cost. SilverStars are under $40 at WalMart. Get a 100w headlight harness too, to fully realize their potential. FWIW The Sylvania XtraVisons are about as bright but a yellower light. Only cost about $4.00 each.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
okay. so silverstars and a 100w harness. question: would running such a bright bulb possibly melt the lens covers? and as for the DRL Module...if its not affecting the headlight performance -- if its just gonna mess up the daytime running lamps -- then to hell with it. i dont need DRL's anyway.

thanks.

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
The heavy duty headlight harness will interfere with the operation of the DRL module and vice versa. IIRC SixFoFalcon had this problem.

However, if you want to remove the function of the DRL's and install the heavy duty harness you will see an improvement in light output no matter what bulb you use.

The SilverStars are about $20/bulb. Walmart sell a twin pack for $37. The XtraVisions are very good too and cost much less, but the light temperature is lower and yellower like SHOZ123 stated.

SilverStars and XtraVision bulbs operate at 55/65 watts like OEM lamps. The "HID look" halogens that operate at 85/100w will damage the stock wiring, and I have not heard of any Taurii with melted lenses yet. The heavy duty harness can handle higher wattage, but most importantly, the harness delivers more voltage, and greatly improves stock bulbs' light output.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i don't really care about color...i want a brighter light. if white means brighter, then fine. also, the silverstars, if they're the 9007's, are 60/70, not 55/65. i just want brighter lights.

if i remove the drl module will that harm the car? any weird side effects?

say i want the brightest possible lights i can get. what should i do? what should i buy?

any help would be great. i drive a lot of country back roads, and deer are a problem here. i'd like to be able to see them before i run them down :p

thanks.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Well, for the DRLs, I think you just replace a piece of plastic with another piece of plastic from a non-DRL car. Get SilverStars if you want brighter light. Everyone seems to be happy with them. They will work ont he stock harness. I think yellow lights hurts the eyes more than white light.

BTW, if you drive country roads, can't you just use the highbeams?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
right now, i use the highs and nobody even notices, as far as oncoming traffic goes. they're horrible...i can barely see.

so i'm gonna look at some xtra visions tomorrow. i priced the silverstar's at autozone tonight for 19.99 a piece.

who knows. thakns for the input, it's appreciated.

·
Registered
324 Posts
i got silverstars and they are brighter, but i can't see a noticeable difference in visibility, but the reflections from signs and parked cars and road lines are brighter.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
well the design of the headlights sucks in gen 3's that's my conclusion.

No point spending money on flashy headlight bulbs. I guss a better bet is getting additional driving light and get them installed.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
With some $20 Pilot fog lights< SilverStars and a headlight harness the Taurus has pretty good night lighting. One very important thing is the proper aiming of the lamps. Easy to do. I go out on a country drive and set them where they light the road the best.

If you don't get the headlight harness then you are wasting money on better bulbs in a GEN 3-4. The Sylvania XtraVisons are pretty good for small money.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
probably get the xtra visions. wife don't wanna spend 50 bucks on lights. can't say i blame her. thanks for the input. does autozone carry the 100w harnesses? anyone know how much they cost?

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
The harness is usually around $40. The Silverstars are a bit less at WalMart.

The SilverStars are also rated at 60/70 watts, a bit higher than the OEM bulbs.

If you are only going to do one thing get the harness.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts