Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, Has anyone purchased Diode Dynamics SL1 bulb? the one for halogen replacement?

Second question, If you have purchased and installed them, what are your thoughts? brighter? enough to justify the $150 price tag?

Thirdly, last but not least, i notice on their website they specify "Low Beam" (found here : https://www.diodedynamics.com/low-beam-led-headlight-for-2010-2012-ford-taurus.html ) - But i dont recall having a second bulb for high beam.....am i mistaken? are they separate bulbs??

·
Registered
361 Posts
Different beam pattern. Not federally certified for the housing. Illegal.

You are correct about there being one bulb for both high and low beams. If the '11 is the same as the '13, you've a projector headlight. "Low beam" is activated by blocking the upper portion of the light (lower, but it inverts)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi, yes I did buy these bulbs, thinking they would be better for flash to pass etc. In regards to being "legal", to my understanding the are DOT compliant so they are street legal. But I do NOT recommend them. The bulbs don't seem all that bright. No matter what I do, they do not really fit in my 14' headlight housing. They also don't seem to produce a steading light beam but more of a couple hot spots. So in the long run I will be going back to HIDs. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
324 Posts
As I always say when replying to these subjects, remove my post if I say too much.

So coming from experience as you can see from my garage pictures, it takes a lot of work to retrofit HIDs into a halogen based housing and isn't as simply as putting an HID bulb in replacement to a halogen.

Essentially how an HID bulb works is it's just on. It does not have a lowbeam or highbeam function, it's just on or off. Halogens have a lowbeam and highbeam which is voltage based. Halogens do not project very far in terms of visibility which is why a cutoff point isn't needed. But halogens just plain suck and, like I said, don't project very far.

HIDs on the other hand are extremely bright and are just on or off and project VERY far, however they need a cutoff. This is why it's technically illegal to install HID bulbs in halogen housings. The most visible case is seeing those 90s and early 2000s cars driving down the road and their entire lens is bright blue or white because they threw in HIDs and called it good. It's so darn bright to look at and it's blinding sometimes. They are also shining light all over the place and that's illegal because of how bright HID bulbs are.

A cutoff is created from a projector. Basically, an HID projector has to be fitted into the housing which has an adjustable cutoff point to stop the HID from shining too high. It also moves out of the way with your brights function so the HID bulbs shine like a spotlight. The reason you aren't getting very strong light output is all because your housing does not have a proper projector for the HID bulb. This is a symptom of simply installing only bulbs and calling it a day. It honestly is starting to annoy me that manufacturers keep making these "kits" of just bulbs and calling them an upgrade to HIDs because it isn't that simple and proper modifications to the projector, housing, ballasts, and other electrical modules is required for an actual, real, and legal HID upgrade.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Hi, yes I did buy these bulbs, thinking they would be better for flash to pass etc. In regards to being "legal", to my understanding the are DOT compliant so they are street legal.
It's easy to misunderstand. They are legal for a DOT certified housing for bulbs that meet their beam pattern. The Taurus halogen housing is DOT certified for halogen pattern bulbs. They are not certified for LED pattern bulbs.

The bulbs themselves are not illegal. Using them in your current housing is illegal.

Update: I just read Diode Dynamics page and I might have to eat a little crow. They claim to have engineered their bulbs to match the beam pattern of halogen. Given that, I really don't know what the answers is. They might be legal.

·
Registered
11 Posts
As I always say when replying to these subjects, remove my post if I say too much.

So coming from experience as you can see from my garage pictures, it takes a lot of work to retrofit HIDs into a halogen based housing and isn't as simply as putting an HID bulb in replacement to a halogen.

Essentially how an HID bulb works is it's just on. It does not have a lowbeam or highbeam function, it's just on or off. Halogens have a lowbeam and highbeam which is voltage based. Halogens do not project very far in terms of visibility which is why a cutoff point isn't needed. But halogens just plain suck and, like I said, don't project very far.

HIDs on the other hand are extremely bright and are just on or off and project VERY far, however they need a cutoff. This is why it's technically illegal to install HID bulbs in halogen housings. The most visible case is seeing those 90s and early 2000s cars driving down the road and their entire lens is bright blue or white because they threw in HIDs and called it good. It's so darn bright to look at and it's blinding sometimes. They are also shining light all over the place and that's illegal because of how bright HID bulbs are.

A cutoff is created from a projector. Basically, an HID projector has to be fitted into the housing which has an adjustable cutoff point to stop the HID from shining too high. It also moves out of the way with your brights function so the HID bulbs shine like a spotlight. The reason you aren't getting very strong light output is all because your housing does not have a proper projector for the HID bulb. This is a symptom of simply installing only bulbs and calling it a day. It honestly is starting to annoy me that manufacturers keep making these "kits" of just bulbs and calling them an upgrade to HIDs because it isn't that simple and proper modifications to the projector, housing, ballasts, and other electrical modules is required for an actual, real, and legal HID upgrade.
It's easy to misunderstand. They are legal for a DOT certified housing for bulbs that meet their beam pattern. The Taurus halogen housing is DOT certified for halogen pattern bulbs. They are not certified for LED pattern bulbs.

The bulbs themselves are not illegal. Using them in your current housing is illegal.

Update: I just read Diode Dynamics page and I might have to eat a little crow. They claim to have engineered their bulbs to match the beam pattern of halogen. Given that, I really don't know what the answers is. They might be legal.

Yes, I agree the wording is confusing but in my projector housing I did not like the output, very sporadic. So I will go back to the more complicated HID setup I had. I known this is a touchy subject on here, so I will not talk much about it. But my current projector housing does a great job at cutting off the light and I always made sure it was not blinding to oncoming traffic.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
4 Participants
tylerf4
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing