Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 96 GL headlights are like hazy/scratched...? Its like I can look straight at them and not feel any irritation in my eye.. it looks like fogged up? :angry: I am sure this is making my headlights dim

Is there any thing I can do to those plastic headlights

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
This is from a grateful newbie that a few of us helped out a few weeks back, might be worth trying.

Originally posted by 99vfr@Jun 1 2004, 06:51 PM
You guys are my new best friends. :D 

In the last couple of days you guys haves saved me at least a couple of hundred bucks.  :banana: 

Anyway I would like to give something back to the club. I've been reading about how alot of Taurus owners have a problem with the headlight lenses yellowing with age. I found a product that does an amazing job of clearing up the yellow and removing fine, small scratches. Can't do much about the rock chips though.

I use a product called FLITZ. It's a metal and fiberglass cleaner. It's made in West Germany (I guess it's all one Germany now) but it is packaged in the US by Flitz International LTD. Waterford, WI WI53185.

It takes a bit of elbow grease but the results are amazing. The polishing lasts a long time, I polish mine maybe twice a year.

fb  :D
I've been meaning to get some myself and try it out. If you give it a try let us know what you think.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Use mothers mag & metal polish. You can pick it up at walmart, autozone ect. Works great :)

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
Flitz, Brasso, and the Mag polish are all metal polish products that have microabrasive particles along with petroleum distilates of some sort. I have used Brasso on plastic watch lens with soso results, but n2space has recomended better products designed for headlights in other threads. He had some before and after pics of his wifes Tracer, simply amazing results.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Plexus. We sell it to police depts. for cleaning the lightbars on their cars.

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
Is there no possible way to disassemble the headlight housing and "Boil the lenses"?

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Originally posted by gryphon1011@Jun 25 2004, 02:17 PM
Is there no possible way to disassemble the headlight housing and "Boil the lenses"?
Use a heatgun.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts