Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so on my contour, my headlight bulb did not have a reflecting cover that aims the light back, the bulb just went in its socket and pointed straight out, and with 10k hids, i can definetly say that my contours lights were much brighter and better looking, the 10k lights seem whiter in my sable for some reason.

so im wondering....

whats would the light pattern be in a gen4 sable/taurus headlight, if the reflective cap was removed and the bulb just shined striaght out?

would it be rediculous over bright?

only reason i ask is because the lights were just much better in my contour then in the sable.

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
No idea what the beam pattern, or lack thereof, would be...but 9007s were definitely not designed to be used without that cap.

If you're going to that much trouble to remove that shield, do projectors. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i knew someone would say that!

honestly i was just curios as to why the contours were brighter, usually you think a bigger housing and a car 4 years newer would be brighter but no....

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
QUOTE (s2knott @ Mar 22 2009, 09:22 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=711136
so on my contour, my headlight bulb did not have a reflecting cover that aims the light back, the bulb just went in its socket and pointed straight out, and with 10k hids, i can definetly say that my contours lights were much brighter and better looking, the 10k lights seem whiter in my sable for some reason.

so im wondering....

whats would the light pattern be in a gen4 sable/taurus headlight, if the reflective cap was removed and the bulb just shined striaght out?

would it be rediculous over bright?

only reason i ask is because the lights were just much better in my contour then in the sable.[/b]
Ridiculously bright? No...why? Because 10k is like a candle..... So your next question should be. "Ridiculously colorful?" Then Id have to say. "Yes."

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
why do you think 10k is like a candle? theres a rumor that colorful hids suck and they dont, they are 50x brighter than my stock lights and they work on the road and not just scatter light.

damn even 30k pink hids VISIBLY bright on the road.

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
Its not a rumor its fact... the higher the color temperature, the less usable light output you will have. Color wise the lower Kelvin ratings are reddish, and the higher Kelvin ratings are bluish.

1700 K: light of a matchstick
1800 K : sunrise
1850K : a candle
2800 K: ordinary household bulb
3200 K : halogen bulb
3350K : studio light
3400 K: studio lamps
4100 K : oem hids
4870 K : sunlight noon
5000 K: daylight
5500 K: electronic camera flash
6420 K: xenon arc lamp

What you want to look at really is the luminous flux rating. A candle produces about 12 lumens and a standard 60-watt incandescent bulb produces 830 lumens. Unlike Kelvin, the higher the Lumen Rating, the 'brighter" the light to the human eyes.

SO..... higher K kits such as 12000 k, 14000 k, etc. are merely for those who are more concerned about the looks and the color their lights produce as to the actual usable light. A perfect example would be a black light. Which has a color temperature of about 14000k. BUT, has almost no useable light or lumen output. I do beleive I've went over this before.

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
i believe the cap is there to prevent glare and to scatter the light into the reflector more. i really want to throw the lights from my contour onto my sable, there just is no compairison, my sable i cant even tell if my headlights are on most of time cause they are so dim, but my contour i cant believe how bright they are for factory headlights they light up everything and my housings are so yellowed and fogged up i couldnt imagine them with new bulb and housings

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
QUOTE (sojiaraggs9000 @ Mar 22 2009, 12:06 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=711157
Its not a rumor its fact... the higher the color temperature, the less usable light output you will have. Color wise the lower Kelvin ratings are reddish, and the higher Kelvin ratings are bluish.

1700 K: light of a matchstick
1800 K : sunrise
1850K : a candle
2800 K: ordinary household bulb
3200 K : halogen bulb
3350K : studio light
3400 K: studio lamps
4100 K : oem hids
4870 K : sunlight noon
5000 K: daylight
5500 K: electronic camera flash
6420 K: xenon arc lamp

What you want to look at really is the luminous flux rating. A candle produces about 12 lumens and a standard 60-watt incandescent bulb produces 830 lumens. Unlike Kelvin, the higher the Lumen Rating, the 'brighter" the light to the human eyes.

SO..... higher K kits such as 12000 k, 14000 k, etc. are merely for those who are more concerned about the looks and the color their lights produce as to the actual usable light. A perfect example would be a black light. Which has a color temperature of about 14000k. BUT, has almost no useable light or lumen output. I do beleive I've went over this before.[/b]

but i dont think you understand me.....

10k hids are at least 5 times better than stock in light output, my stock headlights suck, these light the whole road..... i dont care what paper says they are bright and not just looking at them....

like i said my buddy has 30k hids (pink) on a scion tc, and they are much bright than my sisters 05 sable with stock bulbs.

its cool i know 4300 or 5000 is way bright but 10k still rules.

"oh 10k is a candle" its a hell of a lot brighter than that.

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
Ok, ok, Ill agree to disagree lol. Ill agree that 10k is better than stock BUT 30k... lol yeah right.... besides the fact that anything over 12k is highly illegal ... 30k is as useful as taping a flashlight to you're cars hood and driving around with it at night.

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
honestly have you ever seen 30k? its still atleast twice as bright as the stock headlights.... i dont know why you think they are that dull.

very surprising light actually i never thought they would be bright but they were better than my taurus with silverstars. in side by side output.

QUOTE (sojiaraggs9000 @ Mar 22 2009, 03:29 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=711190
Ok, ok, Ill agree to disagree lol. Ill agree that 10k is better than stock BUT 30k... lol yeah right.... besides the fact that anything over 12k is highly illegal ... 30k is as useful as taping a flashlight to you're cars hood and driving around with it at night.[/b]

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
I like the lights that are on my Sable now. They are Silver stars the last owner put in.
I drive a lot and all you guys with your blue and pink and green and I believe I've even seen purple head lights... You're fracking blinding me and every other driver that has to meet you on the Interstate and God forbid we meet you on a two lane. Seriously guys, some of you have gone too far with the headlight brightness.

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
QUOTE (2000Sable @ Mar 22 2009, 04:11 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=711227
I like the lights that are on my Sable now. They are Silver stars the last owner put in.
I drive a lot and all you guys with your blue and pink and green and I believe I've even seen purple head lights... You're fracking blinding me and every other driver that has to meet you on the Interstate and God forbid we meet you on a two lane. Seriously guys, some of you have gone too far with the headlight brightness.[/b]
Its not there brightness its the fact that without proper aiming hid kits and halogen housings don't mix.

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
guys would this be any better if i were to get eyelids for my headlights that came down quiet a bit and cut off the top of the housing so its not as blinding?

i cant find anyone that will do a projector retro fit for less than $400, IF ANYONE WANTS TO FOR LIKE $200 let me know, im going to get some TSX projectors.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
If you can see their lights, your friends "30,000K" hids are NOT 30,000K. They might SAY they are, but they aren't.

DO NOT remove that bulb cap. No ifs, ands, or buts. You WILL be that car that everyone hates because you blind them.

Consider this, all headlight housings are not created equally. The contour's were likely better. However, if you're STILL having problems seeing with HIDs in your sable, you either need to A.) Get your vision checked, or B.) Choose another color temperature with more VISIBLE LIGHT OUTPUT (just as we have discussed above).

EDIT: The eyelids wont help ****. The exposed bulb is still there blinding people.

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
QUOTE (ford_ses @ Mar 22 2009, 09:31 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=711139
No idea what the beam pattern, or lack thereof, would be...but 9007s were definitely not designed to be used without that cap.

If you're going to that much trouble to remove that shield, do projectors. :thumb:[/b]
9007's are used in other cars without the cap

Mike
:dunno:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts