Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to upgrade my dim headlights so I bought a set of Eagle Eyes replacement headlight housings and a heavy duty wiring harness.

For the past hour, I've been trying to get these headlight housings to fit but no luck. Not only won't the protective cone on the back of the headlight stay in, the housings themselves refuse to fit back into the headlight openings. I'm just about frustrated to the point of sending them back. Has anybody tried these and run into this problem?

The other snag I've run into is with the harness. What do you do about the cone with the rubber plug in the back that the headlight wires run through? Do you discard it or modify it in some way? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I have eagle eyes they fit in with no problem, it's not a perfect fit they do poke out a little and the holes and stuff don't align 100% but it holds in place. I am not sure about the back harness or plug as I cut mine out when I retrofitted. Good luck!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I did the same replacement on an 04. Problem is that the black plastic piece that holds the bulb assembly is thinner material than stock.I doubled up on the rubber seal on the cap and it fit fairly snug.Later I thought about some very thin weather strip material on the black plastic opening, but since this seems to be working, I'll leave as is. You want to make sure you bet a GOOD seal on both bulb openings so water doesn't condense inside the housing.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I've replaced my headlight assemblies in 3 different cars. 2 of the 3 times, eagle eyes was used. I never had a fitment problem. I would return them if u could. Do u know if ur front bumper of fenders were ever replaced due to an accident? That could cause an issue like the one you're having

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I've replaced my headlight assemblies in 3 different cars. 2 of the 3 times, eagle eyes was used. I never had a fitment problem. I would return them if u could. Do u know if ur front bumper of fenders were ever replaced due to an accident? That could cause an issue like the one you're having
This car had a little over 72,000 miles on it when I bought it and the Carfax showed it as a one owner with no accidents. Of course, that doesn't mean it couldn't have been in one and just not reported but I've checked it over pretty good and never seen any evidence. I think the molds the company that makes these housings is using are getting out of spec and are not as accurate as they used to be. hence the fitment problem. I'm going to try again today but if I don't have any luck, I'm sending them back.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did the same replacement on an 04. Problem is that the black plastic piece that holds the bulb assembly is thinner material than stock.I doubled up on the rubber seal on the cap and it fit fairly snug.Later I thought about some very thin weather strip material on the black plastic opening, but since this seems to be working, I'll leave as is. You want to make sure you bet a GOOD seal on both bulb openings so water doesn't condense inside the housing.
Thats a good idea I might try that. Frankly, I'd be happy if the things would just fit back in the openings the old ones came out of. Sometimes a good night's sleep and a clear head can make a world of difference so I'm going to try again today and hopefully have better luck.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, after much prying, fiddling and cursing, I got the Eagle Eyes in and the wiring harness installed. I'll have to admit, they do look good. Now, I'm waiting for darkness to try them out. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and support. This forum is like family.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, just tried out the new headlights. MUCH improved. My old ones were so dim you couldn't tell the difference between the low and high beams. Now when you flip on the brights, you can actually see. Had to do a little adjusting up and down but I've got 'em dialed in perfectly now. This mod was a little bit of a pain but it was definitely worth it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
4 Participants
cacher
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing