Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2004 Ford Taurus SEL - DOHC
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I got into a fender bender with a deer a while back and had to get a new headlamp assembly. Went to the JY, found one, made sure it matched (VOR or VOL) and put it in. Well the beam patterns are different and I've no idea why. I can't see anything out of the ordinary but. Sure someone here can help out with more information about what all is inside of a headlight assembly.

· Registered
2000 Taurus SES 12v
992 Posts
I think the beams are not completely identical. The left beam goes straight while the right beam goes a bit to the right (to illuminate the shoulder). This is not adjustable. Also, the left beam should go a bit further down (not to blind upcoming traffic) while the right one goes a bit further up (perhaps to illuminate traffic signs). That is adjustable.

Edit: just checked it with the Owner' Manual. It is not 100% clear, but it seems even the left beam bends a bit to the right. It doesn't say anything about the right beam aiming higher though (either I read it somewhere, or I entirely made that up).

· Registered
2004 Ford Taurus SEL - DOHC
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think the beams are not completely identical. The left beam goes straight while the right beam goes a bit to the right (to illuminate the shoulder). This is not adjustable. Also, the left beam should go a bit further down (not to blind upcoming traffic) while the right one goes a bit further up (perhaps to illuminate traffic signs). That is adjustable.

Edit: just checked it with the Owner' Manual. It is not 100% clear, but it seems even the left beam bends a bit to the right. It doesn't say anything about the right beam aiming higher though (either I read it somewhere, or I entirely made that up).
Everything you said makes complete sense, and I agree 100%. Unfortunately that's not exactly what I mean. I don't mean where the light should be aimed, as in adjustable height. I do mean the actual pattern the light makes hitting the specifiedpoints. One example would be the difference in VOL AND VOR. It's almost as if the way the light in mine is reflected is wrong.

· Registered
472 Posts
Had an experience with the RH headlight ass'y I pulled from the local U Pull and installed on my '04 Sable. The beam just wasn't right on it. Tried swapping the bulb...no change. Thought maybe adjusting the beam higher/lower would help. Still wasn't right. Put up with it for awhile until a nice, original Ford headlamp showed up at the U Pull. Bought that one and installed it. All was good after that. Thinking that Chinese aftermarket ass'y was just junk.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts