Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still running the original headlamps in my 2000 Taurus SE. Never had any complaints about nighttime driving, but was thinking about upgrading to GE Nighthawk Headlights. The 2 big sellers around here (Toronto) seem to be the nighthawks and SuperStar which I think is made by Sylvania. I was just wondering, anyone using these bulbs, comments, recommendations. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
111 Posts
QUOTE (thomngreg @ Jul 23 2009, 05:14 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=741478
Still running the original headlamps in my 2000 Taurus SE. Never had any complaints about nighttime driving, but was thinking about upgrading to GE Nighthawk Headlights. The 2 big sellers around here (Toronto) seem to be the nighthawks and SuperStar which I think is made by Sylvania. I was just wondering, anyone using these bulbs, comments, recommendations. Thanks in advance.[/b]
My experience using Sylvania brand bulbs is that they are wonderful. Very crisp light, bright as hell, even the cheaper models. BUT, they dont seem to last nearly as long as other brands. Dont really know much about GE Nighthawks, but they probably have a longer life than any Sylvania.

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
I had SilverStars for 3.5 years until one burned out, and replaced them with Xtravisions...they're the same bulb for a lot less money and without the coating that makes it appear white. They're both good bulbs, but the Xtravisions are definitely better value for the dollar.

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
X2 on the XtraVisions. They are just as bright as SilverStars but without the blue-ish tint and 1/2 the price. My original set of SilverStars lasted a year or less before 1 burned out. The XtraVisions were installed much longer and never burned out. I swapped them for some new NightHawks just to see if there was any difference... none. Now I have SilverStar Ultras... best bulb so far, but not worth the extra price IMO. XtraVisions are the best bulb for the buck.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Nighthawks are a lot better than the stock bulbs that come on the car. They must use long life bulbs from the factory or something because it gets to the point where the light is too dim and then I end up replacing them discovering 1995 stamped on the base.

Oh and Xtravisions are just as bright as the Nighthawks. I put a set in a '95 Contour (which also had factory bulbs).

·
Registered
36 Posts
IMO nothing compares to PIAA. If your looking for a nice white light thats brighter than stock get some. There a bit more expensive but i had a set in my maxima for 3 years! There worth the cash.

http://piaa.com/Bulbs/Bulbs.html

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Not my opinion on the PIAAs. And for the money the white light bulbs will NOT put out the light that a standard one will.

What you really need first is a relay headlight harness upgrade.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advice. Heading to Part Source later today. I may just try the Xtravisions. At least they don't have the blue coating of the Silver Star bulbs that I am reading may be the reason they don't last as long. Remember we have DRL's here, so the bulb is always on.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Went to Part Source today. Turns out (at least the catolog says) , no Nighthawks for 4th Gen Taurus. So, I am going to go with the Xtravision. One question, is the Xtravision a "whiter" light or is it more stock looking. I think the really white ones would look great on my white SE!! :D

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Xtravisions have the same color as the stock bulbs; they're just brighter. It's somewhere between stock lowbeams and highbeams.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts