Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
also, why are exhaust manifolds made of cast iron and then steel? temperature issues?

·
Registered
113 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah, pretty bad design.

but still, as for material used. that seems like a ton of weight right there that could be lightened if another material was used (not sure what temps those thing handle, but you'd think they could use something lighter than cast iron :D

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
fairly ****** flange as there is no room to weld on a round pipe....you have to crush the end or weld up the gaps...

·
Registered
113 Posts
Thats good news Brad. I would like to do a custom exhaust with 2 high flow cats back further away from the engine. With that stupid factory manifold having the cat welded on, the flange may be an option to consider for a rear replacement. Although there isn't much area around the openings to weld to. But for $19 a piece it may be an idea to buy two and see if my local performance exhaust place can do it.

hhmmmmm....

G

·
I had always planned that if I were to get a bit more money I'd grab one of my extra sets of exhaust manifolds take it down to a machine shop and have them cut off the 1/4 inch that bolts to the head, then have pipes welded to that, and whalla there's a nice set of custom headers. That's just the idea I've had in my head for the longest time...

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
Originally posted by Baby SHO@Jul 31 2004, 10:05 PM
fairly ****** flange as there is no room to weld on a round pipe....you have to crush the end or weld up the gaps...
Too true.... I just finished a turbo project on a 1994 Honda Accord. We built the system from the ground up. The header flange had plenty of room to weld tubes and the ports are round. The header looked really great once it was finished.

These flanges have oval ports and very thin edges. I'm afraid that welding the tubes to these flanges may cause the flanges to warp.

Look at the red arrows in this pic. There is very little room to weld, and the heat will probably cause the flange to warp; preventing a good seal to the head.

****.... I might buy a pair or two anyway :ph34r:

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
It looks like a ****** design to us because we want performance. But they do it because it heats the cats up faster thereby reducing pollution. Something like 90% ?? of pollution is caused at start up because the cats don't work when they are cold.

-Jeff

1 - 10 of 10 Posts