Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how do i get JUST THE CLEAR plastic off of the light to clean. i dont really want to have to take the hole light off i just want to take the lence off and clean it. and if this doesnt work then where can i buy the head light covers and do they make your lights dimmer and harder to see at night..

·
Registered
870 Posts
Are your headlights Yellowing? If so, you can't just just replace the lens you have to replace the entire headlight unit. What I recommend is that you use an adjustable speed buffer and a little bit of rubbing compound first on each light, then a product called PLASTX Clear Plastic Cleaner and Polish by Meguiar's applied with the buffer and then apply by hand a Good coat of wax like Meguiar Gold Class or Meguiars High Tech Yellow No. 26 wax. You can find most Meguiars products at you local auto parts store like Advance Auto, or Auto Zone or online Meguiars.com

I've done this myself to my Headlights, and it worked pretty well, you can also apply PLASTX to you taillights to bring out the red and amber colors, Give it a try. Hope that helps.

~Bob

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
to the outside or inside..if inside how do i get it off to do the inside?

·
Registered
870 Posts
To the outside, you CAN NOT remove the lens. so you apply the following steps to the outside.

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
As for the headlight covers, you can buy them at http://www.aftermarketperformanceparts.com. They have clear and smoked covers by GTS. I think AVS makes them too, but I don't know if you can buy them at that site.

If you get the smoked covers, I would not suggest using them at night. They do block a lot of light. I've driven with them on, and a little bit of light shines through, but it's not a good idea to drive with them on. I just leave mine off most of the time.

BTW, you could always just replace the headlight housings. It's very easy to take them off, but I don't know how expensive they'd be if you bought another pair.

·
Registered
183 Posts
ok yes the mcguiar stuff works. but if ur like me and dont wanna buy a lot of crap that cost more than it should. take a rag, put brake fluid on it. rub it on the lens. do this about 3-4 times. and god as my witness it will do exactly what the mcguiars does.

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
Originally posted by Lucky@Jan 28 2004, 10:24 PM
take a rag, put brake fluid on it. rub it on the lens.
Be careful if you do this. Make sure you also wear rubber gloves. From what I've heard, brake fluid will strip the paint off of the car, along with the skin off your hand if you're not careful.

·
Registered
2001 Ford Mustang. 2005 Harley Deluxe. 2016 Freightliber Cascadia.
326 Posts
Your skin should be safe, as long as you wash your hands, but your paint will fry BADLY. It will actually bubble off and rip off the car if yer not careful, and forget about masking the paint to protect it, doesn't work. Just be very careful and go slow, or better yet, take the unit off then hit them with the brake fluid.

Michael

·
Registered
206 Posts
After polishing with the brake fluid, is there a protectant that you put on it so you don't have to strip it every 2 months?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Originally posted by 97GreenStreak3.0@Jan 11 2004, 12:00 PM
As for the headlight covers, you can buy them at http://www.aftermarketperformanceparts.com. They have clear and smoked covers by GTS. I think AVS makes them too, but I don't know if you can buy them at that site.

If you get the smoked covers, I would not suggest using them at night. They do block a lot of light. I've driven with them on, and a little bit of light shines through, but it's not a good idea to drive with them on. I just leave mine off most of the time.

BTW, you could always just replace the headlight housings. It's very easy to take them off, but I don't know how expensive they'd be if you bought another pair.
I just went out and bought ultra bright driving lights(fogs) to compensate for the headlight covers plus it looks really aggresive on a Gen I. as for the headlight assembly, you can get them at FORD, but they are pricey, about $125 a piece for a Gen I

·
Registered
58 Posts
Originally posted by CincySES@Mar 1 2004, 11:08 PM
once it's clean, just wax the plastic lens whenever you wax your car and it won't yellow for YEARS.....
yellowing is caused by UV Rays, so you should get a wax that has that protection against the UV Rays. Some automotive wax doesnt protect your car very well (like the crap at the car wash, it just mess's up your paint) the liquid stuff kinda sucks (my opinion) try the solid pasty stuff and then buff it really well. The smoke headlight covers will filter out the UV's hence preventing the yellowing effect.
Just a thought

PS watch out !!! smoke headlight covers may be illegal where you are and the fine is not pretty. I got nailed with them on, it was like 140 bucks

·
Registered
887 Posts
from my experiance, the liquid works very well (but then I use only Meguires Gold Class which is like 10 bucks a bottle...)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Originally posted by CincySES+Mar 1 2004, 11:57 PM-->QUOTE (CincySES @ Mar 1 2004, 11:57 PM)
from my experiance, the liquid works very well (but then I use only Meguires Gold Class which is like 10 bucks a bottle...)[/b]
<!--QuoteBegin-CincySES
@Mar 1 2004, 11:57 PM
from my experiance, the liquid works very well (but then I use only Meguires Gold Class which is like 10 bucks a bottle...)
Ya!! well you know the saying!!! "You get what you pay for" just dont drive your car in the day time,
there is less UV's to worry about

1 - 14 of 14 Posts