Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Think I know what is wrong, not my car. Drivers side on low beam glowing very low level.

Sketched diagram of likely issue. filament #1 is low beam, #3 is high beam. Gray line is grounded at the HL switch.
Red is hot at all times, fuse by the battery. Purple is backfeed. Three filaments in series.
Likely fuse blown, bad connection, wire broken.
My will look at it when daylight and warmer.

Any comments?

Attachments

·
Registered
117 Posts
You could use a multi meter and test the voltage getting to the light and see what it reads. Also test the resistance on the ground wire, it should be as small as possible.

If the light is working but very low it most likely is not a fuse, the fuse is working or not type of thing.

My guess would be a bad ground connection, or possibly a bad wire with high resistance.

Check your ground connections and than test the power wire resistance to headlight and same for the ground connection.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Just wanted to share my recent experience with a headlamp going dim. In all the years I've owned vehicles that used the 9000 series halogen bulbs, I've never had one just go dim...rather, they would suddenly burn out. I feared the worst...being some kind of electrical gremlin. Not to be be, however. I swapped in a new bulb and all is well.

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What was your resolution Chart?
Guy gave the car to his brother who has cancer, lives alone, and only needs transport to doctor and grocery. He will not drive at night.
On the good side, both filaments are lit, low bright, and high dim, and both filaments on the left are lit at low level.
Bulbs have common ground, left side first and across to the right. Ground cannot explain.

If I had a Bull in my drive I might pull a fuse and see what happens. But with 3 Bulls, none in my drive. Two grandsons and my daughter. After first of year, one grandson flying to a intern job.
I will get my wagon back.

For now only a Buick. Near urgent repairs last night. Thanks to a shop and a friend fixed in couple hours.
-chart-

1 - 5 of 5 Posts