Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need a little help, overheated 99 3.0 vulcan & blew a head gasket, heads checked out OK, can someone take me step X step through the process of timing the valves? Do I follow the firing order with each piston @ TDC and torque em down when both valves are closed or put back together w/o TDC?
Some people state that they take em off and slap em back on, to me that don't sound right(to easy).
Thanks

·
Registered
402 Posts
Personally when I did mine I aligned them each with TDC per cylinder however I too have heard that with our valves it's not necessary as there is no adjustment for them. "Just torque em down to spec." is what I was told.

I took the safe route :p

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Went and got gaskets and head bolts this evening, the new bolts are 1" shorter than the ones I took out, will that be problem or do I find some 5" bolts?

Ron

·
Registered
402 Posts
Went and got gaskets and head bolts this evening, the new bolts are 1" shorter than the ones I took out, will that be problem or do I find some 5" bolts?

Ron
The bolts should be the same size, otherwise you'd either have too little threads holding the bolts down or they simply wouldn't fit through the head and into the block. Take an old bolt in to the store and compare them before you buy

The new bolts may be ever so slightly smaller than the old since these are TTY bolts and stretch when properly installed.

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts

Ron
They increased the bolt length in 99. I would get bolts the same length. You probably have bolts for 98 and earlier.

** said:
1999-2001
The block was changed again to a XF1E-DD casting that had one major difference: the threads in the deck were slightly recessed and the head bolts were an inch longer so they extended further down into the block. Using the longer bolts helped minimize bore distortion which improved ring sealing and reduced oil consumption. Less oil consumption meant less oil contamination, so the catalytic converter lasted longer, and that's what really mattered to Ford, because it helped them comply with the extended emissions warranty required by the EPA.
** Rebuilding The Ford 3.0L V6: Engine Builder

·
Registered
115 Posts
They increased the bolt length in 99. I would get bolts the same length. You probably have bolts for 98 and earlier.

** Rebuilding The Ford 3.0L V6: Engine Builder
The shorter headbolds are also installed differently. They are torqued down in 2 stages to a final torque number (i forgot what it was).

The longer ones are torque to yield. You torque them down to a lesser value and then you move them 2x 45 degrees. It would not surprise me as the bolts are of a different material too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts