Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 vulcan with 96K miles. Just bought the car 8 months ago and have put about 10K of my own miles on it. The car has been dripping coolant onto the driveway for several months. Would only leak when the car was shutdown and hot. Wouldn't leak much, just a small puddle. I found that I would have to add about a liter of coolant every two weeks. Never could figure out where it was leaking from.

Well yesterday, when I got home from work, she finally blew! Leaked darn near the whole coolant charge onto the driveway. Looks like the head up against the firewall blew it's gasket. The leak appears to be coming from the cyl head gasket right above where the water pump discharge mates with the engine block. Engine still runs fine so I'm guessing the compression is good. Plus, there's no sign of coolant in the oil. The car's temp gage never indicated that it was overheating.

I replace the headgaskets on a gen 2 before but my skill level is such that it was a trial and tribulation! Any comments about the level of difficulty for replacing a gen 4 head gasket compared to a gen 2. Seems like the gen 4's engine compartment is a bit tighter.

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
Gen 4 has the overhang at the cowl due to the sleeker windshield.

Be glad it doesn't have a 3.8.....

·
Registered
51 Posts
well.. are you sure it's the head gasket..??
i had done couple of times on my sable and taurus..
both have vulcans on them.. it's not bad at all. just time consuming..
make sure you take your time on it. do not rush..
if it is the head gasket..
picture might help to diagnose the problem little better..
it can be something else in my opinion.. pictures helps..

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I'm pretty sure it's the head gasket. Appears to be coming from the front of the head. Not sure how to say...not the long sides of the head but the short end on the front behind the alternator and other stuff.

Coolant doesn't seem to be leaking into the cylinders & crankcase. No water in the oil and engine still runs smooth. If this is the case, I guess that means the gasket blew from coolant pressure to the perimter of the head. This, rather than pressure from the combustion chamber blowing to the perimeter. That seems unusual to me.

I did check those coolant lines from the water pump to the heater & thermostat housing with the car running. And, I checked the water pump. No leaks were evident at those locations.

Anyway, I removed the upper intake manifold last night and I'm hoping to get the lower intake manifold and the cylinder head off today. I'll let y'all know what I find.

Thanks...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got the lower intake manifold off. Found a lot of white pastey stuff in the intake manifold coolant passages. Felt like it had hard granular stuff in it. Now I'm wondering if it was actually the inake manifold gasket that was leaking and running down and along the cyclinder head gasket.

The intake manifold gaskets have the ford logo pressed on them. I suspect they are original.

The white pastey ****...could that be from a previous owner putting stop leak in the coolant?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Was out of town for a couple of weeks...when I got back, I installed new head gaskets, intake manifold gaskets, etc. But the car is still leaking coolant from the same area. Starting to think it's actually coming from the timing chain cover to block gasket. Anybody ever experience a coolant leak from this gasket?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts