Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Sorry about the bad luck, I say screw it go for the horse. Maybe you will have better luck.

J

·
0 Posts
Sorry to hear that!

Yeah, I'd definitely be looking into some kind of lemon laws or something. If there isn't anything you can do with that, then I'd say get the SHO from the guy - but make him give you like a 2 week or 30 day warranty, lol. Hope it all works out for you.

·
Registered
549 Posts
You could always fix it yourself for about 1/10th the cost the mechanic wants to charge. Go for it, we're here for support!

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Just ease, ease, EASE into it.
Kidding.

For tips, take a few pictures of the engine before you tear it down. It helped me a bit when I forgot the location of things. When I replaced the headgaskets on my Taurus, my best friends were: Ziploc bags, masking tape, and a Sharpie. Every bolt I took off, I placed it in a Ziploc bag, wrote on the bag where it went, and taped the bag to the part. It really helped me when I went to put it all back together.

Good luck with the repair. You may even want to port and polish your heads now that they're going to be taken out. Have some fun with it... That's what I did.

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Originally posted by mikehawk+Apr 21 2004, 03:53 PM-->QUOTE (mikehawk @ Apr 21 2004, 03:53 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-whtcar
@Apr 21 2004, 04:41 PM
Sorry about the bad luck, I say screw it go for the horse.  Maybe you will have better luck.
I doubt it. With Mr Cow's luck, the horse will break it's leg 3 days after he buys it. [/b]
I bet he could somehow get it to overheat.

(that was funnier inside my head)

B

·
0 Posts
Man what s***ty luck. This job is not as hard as it seems, even on a SHO (yes, they operate the same way a normal combustion engine does
).

A couple words of advice:

-Have the heads checked at a machine shop. Have them pressure tested, and have them mill the surface to make it flat. It's worth the extra $150 or so you'll spend.

-Change the oil, immediately. Don't do the filter now, just the oil. If there's any antifreeze in the oil, it will eat away at the rod and main bearing surfaces.

-While you're at it, this is a good time to perform the 60k. You'll have everything off anyhow, and the head gasket set should come with the valve cover gaskets and plug well seals that are mostly leaking at this point.

-I have a 93 Helms manual, and 92 and 95 service CD's. If you need them, let me know and I'll send them along to you.

Any other questions, you know you can post here, PM or email me, or if the s*** really hits the proverbial fan, you can call me.

Best of luck, and welcome to the TCCA head gasket club!

N

·
0 Posts
Sorry to hear about your luck. Since you are doing the job yourself, have you found any 3.2L headgaskets?

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
I-25 and 84th.. Sounds like Colorado

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
Originally posted by Bob Gervais@Apr 22 2004, 07:13 PM
-Change the oil, immediately.  Don't do the filter now, just the oil.  If there's any antifreeze in the oil, it will eat away at the rod and main bearing surfaces.
Yeah, he's not kidding about this part. And rod bearings aren't as fun as they sound, either. <_<

Good luck with the job, and if you need help, you know were to ask!

B

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by detroit_raver@Apr 23 2004, 01:10 AM
wow. that sucks!! but man, your stories kill me!!
good luck!!!
They should.... he's a published author! Anonda and Cody are reading his book now, and they love it! Me, I'm more the dumb "does it gots pictures?" type.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts