Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was planning on taking the vulcan apart and doing a head job. But i was wondering if i should remove the pistons and give them a re-ring? I use a quart of oil every 1.5 miles or so. I don't see the smoke ever and i know for a fact i'm not leaking it so i'm assuming it is getting by the rings or the valve seats. My real question is it worth doing and what type of rings should i get moly cast chrome? anyone ever done this before i figure i have it apart only thing to get the pistons out is the oil pan.

·
Registered
166 Posts
If your using a quart of oil every 1.5 miles, I think there would have to be a leak, thats almost impossible, unless ur headgasket is just that bad...

·
Premium Member
5,181 Posts
Yes I agree. I believe that ford specs require lol that engines used like 1 quart every 1000miles. I am not sure someone will be able to correct that. but 1 quart between changes is considered normal i think

B

·
0 Posts
Do the basics before you tear it down-compression test etc. If the compression comes up with a wet test, it's usually bad rings.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did a regular compression test and it checks out i got 165 too 178 compression none being the same once in a whole when i floor it a cloud comes out of the exhaust. I know it is the exhaust because the engine is soo clean you can eat off it. I had it out last summer to do the tranny and i power sprayed the heck out of it. I should post pics of my toreass i call her but I'm not really familiar on how to do the WET TEST ?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts