Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
I'd go with the scotch brite pad idea, personally. That with a Simple Green 1:1 solution should to the trick.

Also, with the engine sitting that long with bad gaskets, you will also need to replace the rod bearings. Don't, and your engine won't last very long.

Good luck with the work. :)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Heads been off a while???

Any surface rust in there???

Man, you better clean it up good and squirt some oil in there (on the walls) and in the heads (both sides of every valve.) Don't foget to oil the lifters, push rods and rockers too.

Also, with the engine sitting that long with bad gaskets, you will also need to replace the rod bearings. Don't, and your engine won't last very long.
...Yep. For sure... if 'em heads have been off a while. Moisture in there, got that microscopic surface rust thing going on in there. Yep. 10-4 on that.

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
Originally posted by RWeaver@Aug 19 2004, 01:06 AM
...Yep. For sure... if 'em heads have been off a while. Moisture in there, got that microscopic surface rust thing going on in there. Yep. 10-4 on that.
Not so much a rust issue, as it is a "coolant eats copper rod bearings" issue. I'll try and find a picture if I can... hold on...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts