Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you have a Taurus, you probably have hazed headlights. Want an easy solution for fixing these? Let 3M Car Care know. We'll give away 10 headlight restoration kits to the first people who respond at [email protected].

·
Registered
10,561 Posts
Head Lamp polish

If you have a Taurus, you probably have hazed headlights. Want an easy solution for fixing these? Let 3M Car Care know. We'll give away 10 headlight restoration kits to the first people who respond at [email protected].
I used the 3M system, but only needed to use the last 2 steps. I did not need the step 1 & 2 abrasive. Pic attached, before and after. Light output up +30% at least by measure with a light meter at 10 feet. That is the practical side, not the appearance side.

Pic shows the appearance side.

-chart-

·
Registered
294 Posts
I used the turtle wax kit on my girlfriend's sable. They were really bad, and it worked amazingly. I would recommend that. I did all the steps. The rubbing compound does most of the work its the first step after cleaning them with water. Then sanding lightly and then the sealing wipe seals it to protect from further oxidation, and makes them look like new

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
A couple of years ago I used 600 grit wet sand paper on my 94 Taurus, then poished them out with Meguires two step auto polish products, using my rotary electric shoe polisher with a cleaned soft polishing pad, then waxed them with NXT, looked like new & didn't take long.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yourhotcar.com has some aftermarket headlights that are pretty nice. A bit more expensive than restoring your old ones, but they look great. Thinking about ordering some black one's for my 98.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Scratch Doctor works as well. Takes about 3-4 sessions by hand to get them back in shape though, since the compound really isn't gritty enough to cut though the haze.

·
Registered
7 Posts
i used the turtle wax kit on my 2002 taurus, it only cost $9 and it worked great, night and day difference, and the kit contains enough product to do several cars, give it a try only takes about 30 min for both lights, you will be amazed

·
Premium Member
7,307 Posts
Did anyone try the free offer in the first post??

·
Registered
27 Posts
Walmart is going to begin offering a headlight restoration service at their Tire & Lube Express Centers! I only know this because I have the "pleasure" of working for the darn company. :p

·
Registered
9 Posts
Headlight polish

I used Novus #2, and a buffer, cleaned them right up. As a side note, they were not fogged up too bad, but bad enough to need work.

·
Registered
7 Posts
wet dry paper and rubbing compund work

i've done mine with wet sanding and polishing usinf the same polish as for the paint, the only problem is that they require polishing again within a year or so if they aren't sealed.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Pretty much any polishing kit will give you good results for a little while. To do a good job, you need to apply a new clear coat, and if your polishing kit uses any kind of wax or micropolish, don't use it as it will interfere with the clearcoats adhesion.

The clearcoat I recommend is Solaray, which is actually pretty much the only choice available to the public right now. Just google it and you should find some online retailers selling it. This is the key to make so the headlights stay nice and clear. Some may argue that you can simply keep repolishing them, and thats all well and good, but without the clearcoat, the damage will go deeper next time. Polycarbonate does not like UV rays from the sun. Sometimes the damage can go deep enough that you can't polish it out again. Don't take the chances is my recommendation, just apply a clearcoat, and then after that, regular application of a wax when you wax your car should be all that is needed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tauras hedlights

I have tried several proudcts that worded ok then i found a bottle of nu-finish in the back of my other ford got realy good results with that

·
Registered
4 Posts
Free restore for headlights - rub in some hand cleaner with pumice.

OMFG - forget all of the above. I remember my Dad saying that when he was in Italy during WW2 they had to polish the plexiglass on their B-17s every week so they could see out of them. They sure didn't have expensive restoring kits. So I wondered what would restore my headlights short of spending $30. Italian pumice! I grabbed my container of Gojo with pumice and rubbed it in. They sparkle now.

Free restore for headlights - rub in some hand cleaner with pumice.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
OMFG, they had to polish them every week!

Get a polishing kit, and then don't worry about them ever again. Sylvania has a restoration kit now that they have a lifetime guarantee on. Just get that.

·
Registered
23 Posts
For $80 the body shop near me will sand and apply automotive clearcoat. Planning on doing on an '02 Lexus I have. The '03 Taurus is still relatively clear.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts