Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought hawk brake pads for my 2003 ses. The brakes are pulsating in the pedal and have reduced stopping power. The car only has 22000 miles and sat a lot. I had a friend who was the mechanic on the car. He has already done some brake work on the car and said it was probably rust on the rotors . I am not sure if he just did a pad slap or had them ground. I will know when i get them apart. That is fine but as long as i have it apart to have them resurfaced I might as well upgrade the pads so i don't get pad deposits. Hawk performance now has a clearance center and had some pads that would fit on ebay. I bought them yesterday for $24.50 shipped. Does anybody have some experience with hawk pads on their bull. here is a link to their ebay store. I just wanted to justify my purchase and see if this upgrade would stop the famous taurus brake problems.

http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Hawk-Performan...t__W0QQ_armrsZ1

·
Registered
797 Posts
I have been researching this issue and in theory is should help. Although you do need to have a good quality rotor to go along with them. I am interested to hear what recent experince other members have had.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have Hawk HPS on my '97 wagon and love them. They feel like stock brakes until you get a little heat in them (first intersection usually does the trick), then they come alive. Lots of fun and some real breaking power.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
When you replace pads, you are suggested to replace rotors. If you friend is a mechanic, he should had suggested it.

Currently, I have Valucraft rotors from Autozone and Hawk HPS pads. When I do the rear disc brake conversion, i'm getting Valucraft and Hawks too.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
QUOTE (fdogg96 @ Jul 1 2009, 02:44 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=736261
When you replace pads, you are suggested to replace rotors. If you friend is a mechanic, he should had suggested it.

Currently, I have Valucraft rotors from Autozone and Hawk HPS pads. When I do the rear disc brake conversion, i'm getting Valucraft and Hawks too.[/b]
I did not own the car then . It was a customers of his that he worked on it at his house. It needed a power steering hose that was not available so it sat all last winter. My buddy works on so many cars every day ,he forgets what each one needs of what work he has done on each. He is a foreign car master so a 20000 mile brake job is foreign to him. Good old Ford and their junk brakes. It really was a spare car for the previous owner . He had already leased a new jeep. I can not complain . The car had 21500 miles and just needs a few things. I have about $5500 into it including tax, plates, rust repair, a spoiler , and a power steering hose. Now its time for brakes. I have a good shop that will turn rotors for $15 and does it the right way.That means 3 light passes and cross hatching with a wire wheel if needed. It makes a world of difference . Rotors cut wrong will only last 6 months to a year tops. Most shops are in a hurry, use one cut , and dull carbides. I know the difference, I used to cut them myself . we'll see if they spec out or i will buy new ones.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My rotors had some pretty deep grooves especially on the inside. The pads were o.k. ,but i wanted to end the crap brake problem for a couple years. The rotors were in spec ,but cutting them would have put them real close.I ended up buying good old chinese rotors from local parts store because the almost matched pep boys price. $53 including tax. That put the total at $77.50 for hawk pads and new rotors. Now I know why people love hawk pads. No squeak , no squeal right out of the box. perfect fit. It stops in about half the distance. They pull the front end down hard. Too bad I have abs otherwise they would lock the way i like..

·
Registered
797 Posts
QUOTE (DirtethErneth @ Jun 30 2009, 11:27 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=736129
I have Hawk HPS on my '97 wagon and love them. They feel like stock brakes until you get a little heat in them (first intersection usually does the trick), then they come alive. Lots of fun and some real breaking power.[/b]
Do you have the stock 15" wheels or did you upgrade to 16" and the 11.6" rotor? What brand of rotor are you using.
Thanks.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My car came with 16 inch wheels and continental contact tires. 11.6 inch rotors have been standard since 2001 i think and optional on other years , especially the sho series. The rotors were unbranded Chinese junk as are most of them. Name brands mean very little these days. There are very few made in the usa or canada . It really does not matter much anymore. When they wear down , I will cut or toss them. Like my parts guy said. They are $50 throwaways. They do come with a 1 year warranty so just in case they warp early , i can get replacements. My local shop I deal with is pretty liberal on their returns. They only have 4 stores.

·
Registered
72 Posts
QUOTE (double trouble @ Jul 8 2009, 08:30 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=738005
My car came with 16 inch wheels and continental contact tires. 11.6 inch rotors have been standard since 2001 i think and optional on other years , especially the sho series. The rotors were unbranded Chinese junk as are most of them. Name brands mean very little these days. There are very few made in the usa or canada . It really does not matter much anymore. When they wear down , I will cut or toss them. Like my parts guy said. They are $50 throwaways. They do come with a 1 year warranty so just in case they warp early , i can get replacements. My local shop I deal with is pretty liberal on their returns. They only have 4 stores.[/b]

I personally run PFCM pads... same type.. (carbon metallic) ... and the biggest thing is the sliding pins.. those cause more issues than anything. I play with my car a lot, and I keep melting the boots on em.. when they get bad it isnt long before I notice it.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
QUOTE (pimpskillet @ Jul 10 2009, 03:16 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=738529
QUOTE (double trouble @ Jul 8 2009, 08:30 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=738005
My car came with 16 inch wheels and continental contact tires. 11.6 inch rotors have been standard since 2001 i think and optional on other years , especially the sho series. The rotors were unbranded Chinese junk as are most of them. Name brands mean very little these days. There are very few made in the usa or canada . It really does not matter much anymore. When they wear down , I will cut or toss them. Like my parts guy said. They are $50 throwaways. They do come with a 1 year warranty so just in case they warp early , i can get replacements. My local shop I deal with is pretty liberal on their returns. They only have 4 stores.[/b]

I personally run PFCM pads... same type.. (carbon metallic) ... and the biggest thing is the sliding pins.. those cause more issues than anything. I play with my car a lot, and I keep melting the boots on em.. when they get bad it isnt long before I notice it.
[/b][/quote]

hey, when i get the pads for $24 shipped i tried them. the sliders are very important. mine were in good shape but i cleaned the cavities out ,dried the pins off and used synthetic marine grease.fill the cups with it, it might keep you from melting cups. the synthetic grease runs cooler and resists water breakdowns. i do have a problem that when you let off the pedal at a light ,the brakes make a groaning noise. its kind of annoying. i think
it might be the backs are not adjusted enough and putting too much pressure on the front. any ideas?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts