Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When my sub is plugged in I'm having really hard starts.. The engine will loap when it's trying to start up then about 15 secs later it will finally get the full start.. I have a optima red top for my ride... What is wrong with my car... once it gets started not a problem in the world... When I unplug my 333 watt amp it's like there was never a problem anybody got any answers??

Also I really like my sub... Should I get a better alternater? Also I have the big 3 wires on my car as well running in tandam with the stock wires as well... So my car is definatly grounded..

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
Only thing I can think of is your remote turn on lead for the amp..... Is it connected correctly to your radio, or do you have it "hot" all of the time?

·
Registered
233 Posts
I get that problem only if I leave the music loud as I turn the car off. (I am talking half of those little dots are on on a little more.) If I turn it down to a (2-3 dots) I don't get any problems.
I just figured its nothign to worry about, it just cranks a few seconds longer, or I remember to turn it down (which I started doing when I come home at 4am).

Julian

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
actually the remote wire is jumping off a fuse under my dash cause that would be the easiest since there is no sub wire in the back of my stock radio and I'm still building up the 200 bucks to get my custom install so I can get my alpine deck in my car then I can wire the remote from there maybe.. But no the amp is not hot all the time only when the key gets turned is the amp on... I was thinking about making a switch that was under my seat that would stop/start my amp but havn't decided if I want too yet.. Since I'm pulling my low tones from a p35 in my back left mid speaker.. And now that I look back I wrote alot.. Wow it's 4 26 in the morning..

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
lolllllll your batterie is not good it cannot give you enough power i have like 2 amp and my battery is a 1075 amp on crank so get a better batt cuz this one is not strong enough for you

if you onlyhave one amp and when you crack your car up and just because the the radio is on nah it because your battery is not strong enought and it not good and it about to fail lollllll sorry but the truth

get a good bat like 1075 amp on crank and a lot of power reserve mine is 120 min reserve time to crank at 910 amp on -40 c so you get the idea

·
Registered
901 Posts
if your remote wire is hooked up increctly it could cause your amp to stay on and drain your batterie. You probally have this problem because your batterie does not have enough power. If your remote wire is functioning crectly you probally just need a new batterie. If your batterie is good and it still happens you may want a compassitor for your amp although I think there should be no need for one with an amp that size.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
hummm i use to install car radio fora living

up until 1000 amp you dont need a capacitor

and he says that the amp is only turn on when the key is turn on so new battery

trust me

if you have a booster pack try it out plug it on your batt and try it the same way you would start your car normally you will see the booster pack should give you 400 amp more and it should let you start normally

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
I think it might be the alternator. If you've got an Optima, you're running a good battery, so I don't think it's anything to do with that. Actually, now that I think about it more, it's probably a combination of the alternator and the way that the remote wire is installed. The wire might end up actually being hot all the time, which would drain the battery while the car was off. Try disconnecting that wire for awhile and see if that makes it any better. Also, get the alpine installed so that you have a standard remote wire that will shut off automatically and won't drain your battery until the radio initializes, after the start of the car.

JR

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Sounds like the amp is hot when the car is in start. This should not be the case. It needs to be rewired to a hot in RUN/hot in ACC position.

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
I'd put a switch on your amp "on lead" dont turn it on until you start the car....see if that solves the problem...hell if you have an old lightswitch lying around the house you could even use that to troubleshoot it. A 333watt amp shouldn't effect the car much, if at all.....if the switch doesnt work I'd start glaring at your alternator...how old is it?

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
im telling you it not the alternator check you battery and do a load test on it you will see

check to see if your amp is alway on even if the car key is off look on the amp you are gonna have a light

and as a fast test just get yourself a booster pack and try starting your car even with you amp plug in and if your car start normally it mean that your battery is not big enough for a amp and a starter me i have like 2 amp a 600 watt and 400 watt on the other hand my battery is a 1075 amp crank with 120 min reserve

oh and just totell you a alternator is not there to recherche the battery but only to kept the battery at 12 v so if your battery with a tester check it out it should give you 12.0 to 12.4 + if the car batt is giving you this then the alternator is doing is job after that start the car and un plug your sub you should have 12.5 + 14 about then you know that the alternator is really giving you what you need

but stop the car and take a battery reading should be 12.4 about

plus your amp and check for a change if you plug the rremote and the battery level drop it mean that the amp is on even do maybe the light is off

ive seena couple of amp who are **** up and are alway on

cuz a taurus need about 600 amp to start and if the amp is on it gonna drain

so after all those test if possible give me some reading on your volmeter so i can you better in a diagnosis

if still trouble take some current from the fuse box and pass it trought to the remote it only need a 12 volt on and this way you are gonna know if it this

after you could only put a switch on the remote only do not i repeat do not put a switch on the main power or the ground the swithc need to be on the remote

the remote is a 12 v base current it only to say to the amp to turn on so there is no drain on this wire

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
I would have to agree with SHOz. I have a battery thats probably 6 or 7 years old at least, and I never had a problem with my car starting because my amps (about 130amps draw) weren't trying to turn on at the same time i was trying to start my car.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I had a similar problem just yesterday.... I had the a/c on & was listening to music in a parking lot. I turned the car off and when I went to re-start it... it was as if the battery was dead / dying. Cranked over really slow, but still started. So I turn on the radio (which also flips on the volt meter on the capacitor) and I was watching the voltage. It was around 12.6V with the accessories on (with the engine running). I knew this was too low even with all the accessories on. So I tested it this morning with my Fluke volt meter and with all accessories off it was charging at 13.4 volts. Then I put all the accessories on and it dropped down to 12.6 volts. BAD ALTERNATOR. Fortunately I had a spare one I took from a wrecked bull & popped it in. That bad boy is now charging at 14V with all the accessories on. :D I think what killed it was that my negative battery cable was rubbing on the positive terminal and it shorted a few times. I replaced that cable the other day with some 4 gauge wire. :D

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
If the remote wire is running straight to a fuse, then the amp is on all the time, even when the car is off. That's why the battery is draining. The remote wire is supposed to be hooked up to the remote wire on the radio. If the radio doesn't have a remote wire, the you need to hook it up to a wire that is only hot when the ignition is on. That way, when the ignition is off, the amp is also off. All you guys saying the problem is the alternator or the battery are wrong. The battery is dying and causing a slow crank because the amp is drawing power from it constantly. Remove the remote wire from the fuse panel, and hook it up to a wire that is hot-in-run only, and it'll be fine.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
aight my amp does not turn on when the car is off.. My amp turns off.. My battery is more than good enough... I have an optima red top.. As far as my amp turning on while the car is on.. Ya I need a switch I just havnt gotten one for the 6 or 7 months that I have been running my subs.. But thanks for all the help guys...

Oh and my starter just went out.... Isn't that special.... All of my accesories work subs kick in, radio all lights just no clicky.. So I think this was the problem... Who knows.. Even though the only way for me to recreate the issue was have my subs hooked up while starting. Weird...

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Not weird but the extra load brought out your dieing starter problem. It would have gone sooner or later.

Still it is a bad way to hook things up. I would assume that there is already a radio turn on circuit in your car that you could use.

·
Registered
292 Posts
:eek:
Ok, first thing I'm gonna do is reccomend spell check and punctuation on this thread, this was a tough one to make it thru.
Everyone is talking about the voltage being something to check...I'd tend to steer away from that theory. The voltage DOES make a difference BUT you can have a battery with 12.6 and still wouldn't do a thing for the car starting.
What needs to be done is check the battery and the drain on it. If at all possible get a multimeter and check to see what the system drain is by checking right at the battery with everything off, doors shut and between the 2 terminals. This will give you a decent idea of what is going on. There should be NO reason why an amplifier that is in good working order would affect a vehicle with a good working battery. Some of the lesser quality amps have a "hard turn on" which can cause a fairly decent current draw as it initially powers up but should only last for a second or so(one of the reasons why some of the more expensive amps have a "delayed turn on")
After testing the batttery with everything off, try testing with the vehicle in the ACC position and the stereo OFF. Then check with the stereo ON and volume all the way down. Checking all this should give you a rough idea about what is going on. It sounds like more than likely a combibation of a battery going out and something with the amp, depending on the amp it may be something normal for the brand that the electrical system in the car cannot compensate for. Moving the main power ground for the system will ALWAYS benefit you as well as going thru and checking ALL power connections for corrosion and tightness..
Hopefully this will help ya out..........

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Mooby,

English is not your first language, is it?

oh and just totell you a alternator is not there to recherche the battery but only to kept the battery at 12 v
If the alternator is not there to charge the battery, perhaps you can tell us what does charge the battery?

plus your amp and check for a change if you plug the rremote and the battery level drop it mean that the amp is on even do maybe the light is off
How do I "plus my amp"? If I "plug" the remote, the amplifier will be on and there will be a voltage drop.

the remote is a 12 v base current it only to say to the amp to turn on so there is no drain on this wire
What is "12v base current"? Do you actually know the difference between voltage and current? Why would there be no drain on the remote wire? In order for the amplifier to operate, current MUST run through the remote wire.

if you onlyhave one amp and when you crack your car up and just because the the radio is on nah it because your battery is not strong enought and it not good and it about to fail lollllll sorry but the truth
Huh? Why would I want to crack my car up?

I know that we are participating in an internet forum and not a test of grammar, but you really need to brush up on your grammar and spelling. In this world people are, unfortunately, judged by how well they communicate. You are not faring well!

Mark
95 SHO

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Originally posted by Markus@Aug 2 2004, 07:01 PM
Mooby,

English is not your first language, is it?

not it not it french and i was never good at getting technical and saying it correctly sorry and im tired

oh and just totell you a alternator is not there to recherche the battery but only to kept the battery at 12 v
If the alternator is not there to charge the battery, perhaps you can tell us what does charge the battery?

ok drain your battery to zero
boot your car and try after a 3 hrs drive to start the car maybe it will not sure if it too cold and second of all the alternator will be almost dead

if you need to recharche a dead battery you need a battery charger cuz the alternator is there to replace the small amount lost in the starting process and that it so if the battery is defective or not in a good state the alternator is working too hard and it will fail soon oh and im a mecanic and the electronic is my departement

plug your amp and check for a change if you plug the rremote and the battery level drop it mean that the amp is on even do maybe the light is off
How do I "plus my amp"? If I "plug" the remote, the amplifier will be on and there will be a voltage drop.

there will be no voltage drop since the car is not key on

What is "12v base current"? Do you actually know the difference between voltage and current? Why would there be no drain on the remote wire? In order for the amplifier to operate, current MUST run through the remote wire.

yes 12 volt no amp it suppose to be a 12 v no power on this wire if you get a small surge on this wire it could damage the amp

the remote come from the radio so if your bass is too high and you can see the light on the radio dim why does your amp still work

because it not taking power from this wire cuz this is only a 12 v line no amp on it i think it .01

Huh? Why would I want to crack my car up?

I know that we are participating in an internet forum and not a test of grammar, but you really need to brush up on your grammar and spelling. In this world people are, unfortunately, judged by how well they communicate. You are not faring well!

Mark
95 SHO

sorry for you im tired and that is it i know im sorry from my grammar but sometime when you have a baby crying and youre finishing a sentence you get disturbed sometime

so i appologized to all

but my life is ecktic lolllllll not even sure of this one my life is really busy but i wanted to help the guy cuz when i got my taurus my alternator was at 12.9 but it normal it suppose to be 12.9 and up why because on taursu we have like 2 3 voltage regulator and sometime they stop sending corrant to the batt but trust me if your batt is getting week it gonna make the alt work more
no it not

1 - 20 of 20 Posts