Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, I just got my car the other day... and when I took it to my uncle's house about an hour ago, there was a bunch of steam coming from my hood. Checked underneath it, and there was a huge puddle of coolant on the ground.

I was told before I bought the car, that the coolant reserve line had to be hooked up. So with this in mind, could the engine of gotten hot enough, and the coolant was going from the reserve, to the engine, but since the line's not there, it went to the ground? Or would that of happened on the highway?

By the way, my temp gauge was at RM in NORMAL when I got there.

Would hooking that reserve line fix everything?

Or, would a bad headgasket cause ALL the coolant from my system to leak on the ground? By the way, I checked my oil, and it's not milkshake-like, so I'm banking on the HG's are still good. But ya never know

Thanks guys, I don't really know where to turn

·
Registered
68 Posts
As the engine warms up, the coolant will expand. It's probably a good place to start by reconnecting that line to the coolant tank - and, see where it goes from there.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I looked and it was already hooked up. I topped off the radiator, and there was a bunch of **** in there. So, Im going to have it flushed when I get it inspected

I checked the exhaust, and there isnt any smoke, so im not worried about the headgaskets now. Or could it be a radiator leak??

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
If you had a head gasket problem, you would be seeing steam, not smoke.

If the head gaskets in a 3.8 have not yet been replaced one or the other will blow someday and they will have to be replaced.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Might I suggest that you first flush your radiator and make sure there is no rust or leaks, if you do have a serious amount of caca (LOL) just replace the radiator, you can get them for a good price, mine was a Silla and only $120 delivered to my door. Also this is such a must and only about $25-35; replace the reservoir (overflow) when you do the radiator. Also check your thermostat. I had severe coolant leaks from my reservoir and it was the old hoses going into and out of the bottom of the reservoir; the pressure build up got so bad that the overflow tank basicall split apart!I also changed my upper and lower radiator hoses and clamps. That did the job. I've also had great luck with Thermagasket products on other vehicles but if you don't know the past maintenance schedule on your vehicle it is best to replace, depending on the mileage. My car was at 165,000 miles so was more than due a serious tune-up. I sure hope you have better luck.

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
Mine is a '95 3.8L, and I just replaced my radiator cap because the reservoir overflowed randomly one day. I thought that I had a leak, but I found out that the radiator cap is only supposed to let coolant flow to the reservoir at a certain pressure.

If the gasket is compromised, or the spring on the cap is just worn out, it will stay open too long and allow the coolant to boil. Also, I would check to make sure that your thermostat is opening. If it doesn't open, your coolant would get too hot and cause a large amount of it to be shunted to the reservoir.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the tips guys, I appreciate it. I wasn't able to try any of the suggestions, I just don't have the ability to, like I thought I did. lol.

Took it to the shop today, and I'll let you guys know what's wrong with it.

-Seth

·
Registered
564 Posts
Could be water pump gasket too, those can leak when it gets hot. I've heard the overflow tanks are known to leak so hopefully that's what it is. Let us know what you find out!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry it took so long to update. It's the timing cover gasket. My mechanic had to look at it, because I was lost. He showed me, and it was pretty bad. Should be good as new soon :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts