Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thinking of doing it, looking for feedback from those who have done it. curiouse as to what gains one might see on a taurus.
thank you
jorsh

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
also on that note how much did it cost you to do so?

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
There are no headers for the Duratec. Draxas was supposed to be working on a set, but they're all but defunct now, so no dice.

There are headers available for the Vulcan, as they are made for the Ranger, but I dont know what the gains are from them...probably not much over stock.

JR

G

·
Nope. Was just about to have a custom set made for the vulcan but had to go overseas before I could pursue it. Would have run me about $500 for the custom make. Not at all cheap but better than most estimates I got from various places.

Also, these were to be a part of a combo I was going to put together and I doubt that just switching to headers will do much for you except cause you to lose some low end (aka driveability on the street). The set I was getting was being matched with built heads/ portwork,, cam, nitrous and other goodies. A project that never got too far off the ground...opportunity lost. No longer have any of the parts I was working on.

All the coinage that was earmarked for the ROTB Beat-Bob-Mobile has come and gone.

The place that was going to do them for me was RPM muffler here in SoCal. I was going to bring them in the car, engine, heads, or whatever they needed to do the job so I don't know if they can do it "long distance" for any of you guys. Perhaps just sending them in a set of factory manifolds would be enough for them to get proper spacing and see the bends.

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
MSDS makes headers for the V6 Contours. They cost about $650 and would need some modification to work on the Taurus. They are commonly used on the Contour with the 3L Duratec swap.

MSDS also makes headers for the V6 Mazda 6. It also uses the 3L Duratec in FWD. Again, they would require modification to work on the Taurus.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
It's too bad Brad decided to use the SVT Contour heads on his car. It would have been really cool if he had swapped in a Mazda 6 engine with VVT.

JR

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Originally posted by godspunk32@Oct 12 2004, 02:53 PM
It's too bad Brad decided to use the SVT Contour heads on his car. It would have been really cool if he had swapped in a Mazda 6 engine with VVT.

JR
man that would be nice to see...i wonder what the dif in performance would be

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
In all honesty, you can probably get more horsepower from SVT heads and cams, than using a VVT motor, although you might get a little more torque out of the VVT setup. As I understand it, the only difference between SVT cams and regular cams, is that the SVT intake cams are retarded a few degrees (8 or 9), I think. Given the fact that the non-SVT cams open so early before Top Dead Center (TDC), the SVT cams have a longer "effective" intake duration. This makes for a little less low end torque, but more power on the top end.

The VVT setup, is kinda the best of both worlds. As the motor winds up, the cam begins to retard, via a computer controlled oil actuator. This way, you don't lose any low end torque, and yet you get the extra top end. However, you won't get the extra horsepower from the higher compression ratio that the SVT heads offer.

Now if you could make a hybrid setup, SVT heads using VVT technology this would be ideal, however, it would require a lot of modification of the of the heads, assuming it's even possible (probably not).

Based on a simple dyno program I ran, you should expect a 25-30 hp gain from using SVT heads, cams, and oversized valves.

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Originally posted by metalliman@Oct 12 2004, 06:55 PM
In all honesty, you can probably get more horsepower from SVT heads and cams, than using a VVT motor, although you might get a little more torque out of the VVT setup. As I understand it, the only difference between SVT cams and regular cams, is that the SVT intake cams are retarded a few degrees (8 or 9), I think. Given the fact that the non-SVT cams open so early before Top Dead Center (TDC), the SVT cams have a longer "effective" intake duration. This makes for a little less low end torque, but more power on the top end.

The VVT setup, is kinda the best of both worlds. As the motor winds up, the cam begins to retard, via a computer controlled oil actuator. This way, you don't lose any low end torque, and yet you get the extra top end. However, you won't get the extra horsepower from the higher compression ratio that the SVT heads offer.

Now if you could make a hybrid setup, SVT heads using VVT technology this would be ideal, however, it would require a lot of modification of the of the heads, assuming it's even possible (probably not).

Based on a simple dyno program I ran, you should expect a 25-30 hp gain from using SVT heads, cams, and oversized valves.
well then you've answered the question...
svt heads (225-230) > vvt stock (220?)
i wonder if you could somehow get the same results added to vvt...omg, up to 250 w/just svt heads on a vvt... ::drools::

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
the front headder and y pipe from a contour will fit, as for the rear headder....well you need to have someone make a whole new one to fit around our tranny....

Brad

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
Originally posted by Baby SHO@Oct 12 2004, 06:15 PM
the front headder and y pipe from a contour will fit, as for the rear headder....well you need to have someone make a whole new one to fit around our tranny....

Brad
did you try mounting the Contour's exhaust manifolds onto your Taurus to find this out?

just curious where you got the info...

and secondly.... what about with YOUR tranny? :ph34r:

G

·
From memory, the Taurus rear manifold exits further back than the Contour, because of the ATX and clearance issues.

On Brad's current setup, there's a ton of room. Perhaps the Contour header would work in this application. The only difference I'm seeing is the Taurus has the ATX to clear.

There's also a ton of room for other types of plumbing that's exhaust related. :ph34r:

So Brad, two more things on the list:

-Contour headers

-Turbocharger

ETA on project: 2008 if we keep adding **** on to it. :lol:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts