Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anyone had Ford OEM rear disk brake material separate from the metal plate it was bonded to?

History: 2004 Sable, last summer Aug 2010, I checked the remaining brake material left on my front and rear brakes at 69K miles. I had plenty left so I figured I would change the brake pads at the end of summer 2011.

Presently: At 79K miles, the left rear brake inner pad material is gone, and the metal plate that the brake material was bonded to is all that is left and it did a nice job of tearing up my rotor.

When I tried to turn the rear brake adjuster in clockwise with the tool, it turned part way in and then stopped. I tried to turn it in with an electric impact wrench with no success.
I ended up having to get a left rear rebuilt caliper.

When I removed the right rear caliper, the inner pad material was just sitting their separated from the metal plate it was bonded to. The outer pad brake pad material was partially starting to separate from the metal plate it was bonded to at each end. I could not turn the adjuster screw in clockwise by hand and had to have my mechanic use an air driven wrench to turn in the adjusting screw. When I showed the brake pads to my mechanic, he told me that he has seen this delamination brake pad material issue on several ford trucks that he maintains for the company he works for. Apparently, living in the northern states with our corrosion/rust environment causes the metal plate that the brake material is bonded to, to rust and cause the brake material to separate.

Lesson learned: I will be replacing my brake pads more frequently based on time in service in the Michigan corrosion environment rather than how much brake material is left on my pads.

Pictures 1 & 2 brake pad material delamination.

Picture 3 brake pad material missing and metal plate shined up after contact with the brake rotor.

Question is this phenomena something just with Ford OEM brake pads or has this been experienced by others with Non Ford OEM brake pads on vehicles used in the Northern states?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
ive seen it on other cars when i was living in michigan. the pads go from one extream to another in winter. it gets hot then freezes, somethings gotta give.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
Living in the Northeast beats the hell out of many of your car's systems. I replace pads when they reach ~50%. Cheap insurance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts