Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been offered a deal to get my hands on a used Coustic CD-325 head unit for my taurus.

I can't find any good information on this company or their products. Is this the sort of thing that gets sold to people off the back of a white van at the mall?

What would be a good head head unit that would match the interior a 97 taurus with a Scosche adaptor kit? Something inexpensive that would make good use of the stock speakers as well?

·
Registered
64 Posts
coustic is decent as far as i know, my friend had one of their amps, and it was ok, nothing spectacular. if i were you, i would go buy a pioneer, kenwood or alpine. all are good brands with decent sq. and you realize that its not a simple plug and play to put an after market deck in a taurus. you have to run all your wires to the back of the car, because thats where the stock amp is, its just a control unit up front. they have a wiring harness that has all the wires needed to run to the back. by the way, the stock amp and wires are on the driver side in the trunk. its not difficult, just time consuming.

·
Registered
746 Posts
if i were you, i would go buy a pioneer, kenwood or alpine.[/b]

maybe even a panasonic, but id take an alpine over all of those.

id personally avoid coustic, they are just kind of cheap low end stuff(like pyle and some of those other companies). but if you like the unit and can get a good deal on it, go for it.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by snyper1982@Jan 20 2004, 11:26 AM
and you realize that its not a simple plug and play to put an after market deck in a taurus. you have to run all your wires to the back of the car, because thats where the stock amp is, its just a control unit up front. they have a wiring harness that has all the wires needed to run to the back. by the way, the stock amp and wires are on the driver side in the trunk. its not difficult, just time consuming.
I don't understand this

Why would you have to run wires? Shouldn't there be wires going from the back the control unit that is already there?

Or is it because you are going to use the headunit as an amp instead of the amp in the back?

How do you run wires?? do you have to rip up carpeting?

·
Registered
746 Posts
the stock radio up front is just a facade, so to speak. all it does is tell the box in the rear what to do. think of the box in the trunk as the brain instead of the amp. when you put the aftermarket HU in you need to disable the brain in the rear, so you have to run new wires to kind of cut it out of the loop. its really a pain in the arse, and it is one of the car manufacturers latest ploys to make it more difficult to install anything aftermarket <_< .

·
Registered
64 Posts
exactly, you are going to use the new headunits amp, and you need to splice into all the speaker wires, power wires, etc. yeah, just run the wire under the carpet.

·
Registered
946 Posts
It actually is not a pain at all. Should take maybe 30/60 minutes to install. Everything is pretty much out in the open. Only difficult thing is getting the stock radio out, using coat hanger wires instead of the "tools" you find on ebay. Cuzz, I am cheap

Aall in all if you have the materials, it is a smooth install.

·
Premium Member
3,493 Posts
I have a Coustic amp that is 14 years old works like new 225w of power, I don't know about cd players but they make some good amps. At lease the old ones are good

·
Registered
746 Posts
Originally posted by L0pan@Jan 21 2004, 12:10 PM
It actually is not a pain at all. Should take maybe 30/60 minutes to install. Everything is pretty much out in the open. Only difficult thing is getting the stock radio out, using coat hanger wires instead of the "tools" you find on ebay. Cuzz, I am cheap

Aall in all if you have the materials, it is a smooth install.
you can get those tools for less than $2 at wal mart... or talk to a local shop and they will probably help you get it out for free, only takes 2 seconds

1 - 9 of 9 Posts